Chapter 17

Edited with Grammarly 5/3/2020

I retreat to the outskirts of the gathering, leaving the major crowd that seems to have collected in the middle. With my back against a tree, I watch as the Beta wolves start making their way through everyone, taking count to make sure everyone is here. The Lunar Soul Pack, my Pack, has an Omega that is currently wrangling children off to one side, and I hear that the Grotto Falls Omega has just joined that group, which means Kalista is here.

Somewhere.

The numbers in the area have more than doubled as the local Pack really starts coming in. I catch glimpses of faces I know from school, the girls who'd acted as the humans' bullies as well as the males who'd looked on with sneers. The male wolves never laid a physical hand on me, their thing was the attempts at tripping, name-calling, and dirty looks.

Granted, that was from both Packs.

Once it was seen that my Pack was doing it openly, then Mythine encouraging it, unknown wolves had to join in the fun. Technically, that would be cause for trouble right there, but I'm a Runt, someone not important. Now if it were one of the other wolves or Mythine or even our Omegas kid, if they had one, then there would be an issue.

A sigh passes my lips, then Alpha Messina's words rise again, the information shared about runts. I already knew that it was uncommon for any to live long, but the part about them going 'feral' is totally new. It's the same concept with any animal; if you kick it enough times, it will bite back. The whole concept of 'snapping', really isn't all that far-fetched.

Before I can think too much more into it, I'm enclosed in heat as arms go around me and squeeze. My startled yip has Kalista pulling back with a chuckle.

"I called you, several times, but you were off in Wynter Wonderland."

Her play on my name has me smiling. It isn't the first time she's said it, yet each time it's used it causes warmth to fill me. Friendship.

"Sorry, I was just thinking about something that my Alpha said a little bit ago. Did you know it was possible for Runts to go feral?"

At the widening of her pale green eyes, I take that as a no. The black tank top she's wearing looks old, it also seems to have been cut up at some point, as holes adorn it's front. The hem is frayed and only reaches to just above her belly button. Her jean shorts are in much the same shape and just as short, showcasing her long legs.

Sweat beads along her skin and hairline, the long length on one side held in a loose braid while the shaved side is open to the breeze. Her feet are bare, like most of those coming in. Only a few still have theirs on, but they won't for too much longer.

"What do you mean 'feral'? Like, stays in animal form or goes crazy?"

I shake my head, not thinking of the other possibility, but the wording given pretty much said it.

"She said 'snapped', so I'm assuming crazy."

Kal's eyebrows furrow for a moment as she thinks about it, then alarm fills her face.

"Do they think you're going feral?"

My shoulder rises in a halfhearted shrug, heart once again starting to race.

"I don't think so. Leilan said that they don't anyway. It's just from all the rumors going around and all the trouble my sister is causing. Apparently the Alphas find it amusing, so if that's the case, it should be fine, right?"

I look at her, knowing the hopeful question is filling my eyes, seeking the answers from her, wanting her assurance. A host of emotions fly over her face. First, she looks bewildered then angry, worried then relieved. None of which is very reassuring in the least.

Kalista bites her lip as she honestly thinks on it, only takes a few seconds to get back to me, but it feels like hours. Standing there, shifting back and forth on the balls of my feet, nervously awaiting her verdict. Each second taking sixty minutes to go by.

"If they were honestly worried about your going feral, they wouldn't be amused. The term 'feral' hooked with Werewolf would be very dangerous for everyone involved, not just singularly, but as a whole. If humans knew that there was a possibility for us to go rabid to that degree, then all wolves would be in danger. It shouldn't be tossed around so casually like that, as it getting heard by the wrong ears could be devastating."

She pauses for a moment, gaze sliding off in the direction of the teenage wolves who have grouped together, then to the Pack's Alphas.

"No Wynter, I doubt they think of you as such, but I really hope they've thought and come to the same conclusions I have about your sister and the trouble she could potentially make if that becomes known. If she doesn't know already, I think it best she remain ignorant."

My heart is already pounding, but it triples in its thumping as my sight suddenly goes black.