The Fool

I feel a heated hatred as his eyes squint in amuse. Next to me, Asra has armed himself with magic as well. He had just fought Julian, he doesn't have much left in him.

"Oh? Look at that... are you thinking about fighting me?" If he has noticed, there's no more point hiding it.

I cast a bolt of magic with everything I have. Asra fires something at the same time as well. He catches me as I sway on the spot. We watch hopefully as our combined power hits Devil, and dust fly off in the air, masking everything from sight.

"He can't hurt you. You have a deal." Asra says as the dust shields Devil from sight. And then, he tap me gently on my shoulder with a smile that looks like he is about to cry. Something tightens in my heart.

"Leave this to me. Everything will be ok..." he smiles soothingly, with sorrow and love filling his every expression. I didn't know he can still smile like that. Despite of everything he's done to me, all the pain he has cause, I couldn't help overlaying his smile to Julian's, just before he made the deal.

I glare at him with distrust, trying to see through what he's playing at...

...

"Ahh...good try. For mortals." Devil laughs as Asra knocks me unconscious with magic, and stands in front to to shield me. The chains came crawling around. He tries to fight them off, but they wrap him up and send him to the Devil's reach.

"There was a deal...for you. But you broke it. How ungrateful." He chuckles as Asra struggles in the chain, trying to get free.

"What deal? I've never made a deal with you." Asra speaks through gritted teeth as he stare at devil with all the courage he can summon.

"Oh, not with you, but someone else's. They made a deal to protect you. But you....you broke it when you left the cage." he chuckles sweetly as he slowly dig his claws into Asra's chest.

On the far side, I seem to regain conscious, but still unable to move. I crawl over with difficulty, fear filling my eyes. I stretch out my hand, and attempt to scream something, yet no voice came out.

"Oh? What is it. Do you wish to save him? I thought you hated him." Devil looks toward me, and I grab my throat, not sure what Asra did to me.

"Oh I did...once." Asra somehow manage a smile under the dire situation. The magic wears off as life starts leaking away. It is so satisfying to see the shock on the Devil's prideful face.

I've seen enough of Asra's tricks to pull it off myself. It's such a simple spell, that Devil can't even sense the faint magic that covers me. I don't know what Asra planed to do, but I can guess. Despite of all the hate, I don't want another deal to save me. That's enough of self sacrificing. I didn't care if I survive this or not. Julian has slipped from my grip again, and it's becoming almost impossible to reach him.

I did not know what I've done, until the chains binding me vibrates dangerously and slither toward the devil.

He had betrayed his deal with Julian. He had hurt me.

I watch in victory as the chains wrap around me loosens, and bind the Devil. I watch him scream. Pleased, as he slowly petrify. Finally, I watch the chains pull him into a slit opens in the air. And then, completely disappeared.

I drop to my knees as Asra tries to crawl over. I know my life won't be long now. It's not bad, that I'd get a chance to pay back for what he did to us. I was right. Everything ends today.

"Scout... Take it back..." I reach out to hold onto their arm. Blood stains their white garment. I've had enough of this crazy world. If Julian doesn't want me, I don't want it either!

Scout stands in front of me. They shake their head gently, eyes filled with sorrow. Although they can't talk, I know they care for me.

"Take it back... take everything. Make none of this ever happen. Can you do that..." painful tears slide down my face. I stare at Scout firmly until they finally sigh and nod.

If I was never revived, Julian will make no deals to protect me. And I would not hurt Asra like this.

A warm glow engulfs me. I glance sideway at Asra, who seems to have gained his voice back. He shakily gets to his feet, and runs toward me. He's saying something, but I can't hear him.

I can feel memories fleeing from me.

He's crying. Why?

I don't even know him...

Before I lost conscious, I see Julian in my mind. The very first time we met, in my shop, when I knocked his mask off.

"You do have guts!" He said. With the smirk I found so very adorable.

If this is how it ends, it's not bad.

...

When I regain my conscious, a glow dims off in front of me. I do not know where I am, or how I get here. What I certainly know, is that I have a deal to fulfill.

"Give them back! I haven't make up to them... give them back..." Behind the glow, there's another mortal. He falls in where the glow was, and replaced their place.

I watch.

"I'll give you anything... take my memories of everything else. Take their memories! I don't care, I can teach them again..." he sobs as he pleads, kneeling in front of me and gripping my garment.

"I can't give you what doesn't exist. They are here, but they are not here anymore." I point to my heart, and he let go of me in desperation.

"Why did you do this..." he looks at me. Something disappears in the depth of his eyes. I tilt my head, studying him.

"You wish to restore Julian's soul, and return him to them, but they don't want it, just like they don't want Julian to make the deal. What's not to understand?" My tone calm and flat as I try to understand him.

Human are weird. A lot of time, they knew the answer, but they choose to turn away stubbornly.

"You will be fine, for they sacrificed everything to give you that." I give up on trying to comprehend. I cradle his face in my hands, because he looks so sad.

"Wait. What does that-" I didn't wait for him to finish. He will see, when I fulfil my part of the deal.

My hands clap together, and everything is gone.

I return to my cliff, with my loyal friend behind me. Their head hanging from their shoulder, tail droopy.

"Ah... Scout, why are you upset? You have been with human for too long." I scratch them on the root of the ears, and sit back, to where I belong.