The Second Chance

"Julian...Julian...!" Julian wakes up so suddenly from someone shaking him. He looks around, bewildered. He had fall asleep on the library desk, his drools smudged his study of the plaque.

"What...Asra? A bug disturbed your nap?" He wipes his lips on the sleeve, gazing at Asra disgruntled. He sees past Asra's shoulder, and frowns when he found Asra had made a mess in the library. Pulling all the books off from the shelves, scattering them around. He rolls his eyes, thinking ' how am I gonna explain this to the countess later.'

"Do you NOT remember where you were?" Asra asks in a serious tone that is rare for him. He's usually so fluffy.

"What do you mean where I was. I was here, trying solve the plaque when you..." Julian's voice trails off, and died in his shock.

He shoots up snd exams his body frantically. And then, he slams his hands on the desk, scaring the birds landing on the window to take off.

"I'm back! But WHY? Asra, Where's MC?!" He grabs onto Asra's collar, demanding an answer. Before Asra opens his mouth, the library door swings open.

"Do any of you know what's this farce?" Nadia strides in with a sword in her hand. Blood drips down and drag behind her as she walk.

"Milady! I've asked around. Nobody remember anything!" Portia rushes in as well. She's panting, like she had been running.

"Nadi, would you kindly explain that?" To Julian's relieve, Asra points to the blood on her sword and asked the question.

"Don't worry about it. And doctor, you may put a hold on the plaque research. It's over. We have more important matters to deal with." She wipes the sword with her white glove gracefully, put the sword back, then toss the gloves into the garbage.

"You don't mean to tell me, you killed-" Julian gasp in astonishment. Nadia cuts him off and finished the sentence for him.

"I killed Lucio. As soon as I found myself back here." She speaks with despise, as if it insults her to even mention his name.

Asra's eyes widen as he inhales deeply. Behind Nadia, Portia gasps as well.

"I will simply put a crime on him. That solves everything. Compare to the thousands that will perish from plaque, it's a worthwhile trade off." She speaks in an indifferent tone. She's the countess, if she claims this man to be guilty, no one will dare to prove his innocence.

"Speaking of which. Doctor, where is your beloved MC?" She frowns when she looks around and did not spot them.

Julian falls silent. If both him and Asra are working in the Palace, and Lucio is still alive... MC had died from plaque.

Julian couldn't bring himself to speak of MC, he doesn't know how they ended up back here either.

Asra told them what happened. In the last day He tells the story like MC found him first, then they found Julian together afterward.

Julian gasps loudly when Asra gets to the part of Devil showing up. He starts pacing back and forth through the rest of Asra's talk, mumbling things like 'I should have been there.' 'I shouldn't have left.'

When Asra's done, no one dare to breath. Portia clutches on Julian's arm, eyes widen as she stares at him.

"I tried to look for the book that has the ritual to bring them back. But I can't find it anywhere. It's like....they've prevented it from happening." He drops into the chair, and dangles his head low with his hands on both side.

"It's all my fault..." Asra's voice shaking. No one knows how to comfort him.

Finally, Julian sighs.