Chapter 35

Amelia

"Well would you look at that!" Gene squeals excitingly outside the museum. "After three weeks of agony and torture the museum can open again!"

"Gene are you sure you're ready for this?" I asked him. His stab wound was barely a month old.

"I need this! Lying in bed all day makes me feel more sick and lazy! This diva is ready to fly!" He jumps through the door and I followed behind him chuckling.

Three weeks had passed since the incident and everyone was healthy and out of the hospital. Gene was discharge shortly after we checked in but was given time off to recover at home. I was given the okay to discharge almost immediately but Christian wasn't hearing it thinking I the most fragile person in the world. Only when he was allowed to leave did he allowed me to leave. Though he still needed careful care at home, he insisted that he was well enough to return to work. Over my dead body. I told him until he can push me up against the wall and take me, he was to do nothing but rest. Boy, did he prove me he can do that and more. Kara stayed the longest but soon was discharged and immediately moved to Maine where she was originally from to stay with her mom. Sarah never returned to the hospital but her bruises was healing beautifully especially with such an avid caretaker such as Thomas. Apparently, the two of them had had something going on for some time now without anyone's knowledge.

A short funeral service was performed for Jackson after both I and Christian left the hospital. That was the least I can do for him. After all, he was legally my brother and his father was once a great father to me and husband to my mom. After that, the biggest weight was lifted off my shoulder and I finally felt the most freed I've ever been.

Both Gene and I entered Christian's office as instructed by him earlier this morning. Lined up across the room was the returned museum staff and some new faces as well. Upon our entrance, Christian stands up from his desk. He walks around the desk in all his powerful masculinity reminding me of our early morning tussle. I bit the inside of my cheek to keep from smiling. His eyes wash over me and though his other facial features show no sign of anything else aside from professionalism, the familiar look of his gaze told me he knew exactly what I was thinking about.

"Gene." Christian said his name before even turning his way.

"Yes sir?"

Finally, Christian turns to Gene after his gaze got me all hot and bother. He tosses a set of keys at Gene.

"This museum, the building, the land, the whole property is yours now. Starting right now, I no longer have any power over this place. All the papers to sign over the property is on your desk. Signed." Christian said. I looked over to Gene and his mouth was hanging low in shock.

Gene struggles for words but nothing came out. He dabs at his eyes, then look up at Christian. Nodding his head all he can say was thank you.

"Greet your new boss. Owner, CEO." Christian directed the staff.

Robotically, everyone lines across the room and bow to Gene at once.

"I did the honor of hiring on some more help for you." Christian then turns back to me. "Because starting now, Amelia will no longer work here."

Now it was my turn for my mouth to hang low. "What! Why?" I almost shouted at him.

"Good luck with this place." He said to Gene but his gaze never strayed from me. Before I can say anything, he stalk towards me and grab a hold of my hand dragging me out of the office. I can hear Gene's whistle from behind the door.

"Christian!" I said trying to pull my grip out of his. "Explain yourself!"

Instead of replying, he lifts me in his arm and continues to exit the building which I apparently am no longer employed. He carries me straight to his car setting me down long enough to only open the door and settle me in the passenger seat. He grabs the seatbelt and reaches over to secure it. Only then did he look at me seething face and a boyish smile cross his face. He chuckles and plants a quick kiss on my lips before getting out and shutting the door. I almost lost my composure. The man makes me swoon.