||Chapter 3||

Jerome

I trained my eyes on the road as I drove but my mind was far from it. I was now living in Anna's house. Thinking about her name even made me flinch.

My daughter knew this and I could tell she always wondered why, either by the look she gave me anytime she shortened her cousin's name or by the way she sometimes stressed the shortened name to see my reaction.

I moved into the house mainly because Anna used to lived there. I wanted to prove I wasn't afraid of her and that she deserved what she had but who I was proving it to, I was quite oblivious to it myself.

Just to let you know, I killed her. But my family doesn't know. Not even Cassandra-my wife. Anna deserved what she got. She killed my parents. How and why she did it, I'm clueless.

I got to know the mystery behind their death from a friend.

~~Flashback~~
"Ken, meet Anna- my girlfriend." I announced beaming with smiles as we stood outside of a friend's house; away from the party going on inside.

Anna smiled at Ken and extended an arm for a handshake but the gesture was not reciprocated. The look on Ken's face was one of shock, surprise, fear and horror.

Anna furrowed her brows but still had the smile on her pretty face. I was confused myself. "Why what's wrong?" she asked him.

He shook his head. Anna's question seemed to snap him out of his daze. "Er...umm.." he cleared his throat. "..nothing. I er..you just look like someone..I um..happen to know." he stuttered. Anna mouthed an 'oh'.

Ken chanted a few more 'happen to know' before bidding us farewell.
"I have to go. I have to catch up on some project..exercise..no project. Yes project. I'll see you around. Nice meeting you Anna." he stammered his lie; his smile clearly a fake one.

I looked at Anna who had knotted her brows and instantly I was mad and offended. Ken was one of my close friends. Why should he act like he had seen a ghost at the sight of my girlfriend.

***

"Would you mind explaining what the hell happened to you last night!" I demanded. I was at his house the next day as early as seven.

"I told you she reminded me of someone." he replied.
"You liar!" I retorted. "I'm offended."

After so many minutes: more than fifteen minutes of talking and convincing him to let the cat out of the bag, he broke the news to me.

He told me about how he was going to to see his friend when he heard the wailing of a woman. Curiousity got the best out of him so he decided to check what was going on. Making sure he was out of sight, he saw how Anna and her friends tortured my mother and two other siblings in a very deserted area where people seldom passed- except they were as violent and dangerous like Anna; eventually killing my family. My father was already dead in a pool of blood.

As he laid out the details of the scene, I was deep in thought. I fell in love with Anna because of her sweet, nice nature but when I started getting suspicious about her life, all affection dissipated. Deciding that I'd be with her long enough to know her secret, I kept up the good-boyfriend act.

I don't know how long I spent in my trance but Ken's weight on the bed brought me back to reality.

"I'm sorry but I didnt want to tell you. You forced me to." he consoled. So much for consolation.
"Its ok. Don't worry. I understand. I always suspected that something wasn"t right about her." I said wondering how I found my voice.

It was then that I realised I had to take action. I had to fulfill the vow I made when I realised my parents were murdered. I really didn't care who was involved. You could say I didn't really love Anna but that is the least of my concerns.

I usually wrote to her in cases where we could not meet up for days. I prepared to write her the letter I promised but the contents wouldn't be what she expects. I sacrificed my appointment for the sake of the executioning of my plan.

I wrote the little my head could think up and prepared towards the executioning of my plan, meaning I picked up the knife I always kept with me for defense against most of the people in my neighbourhood.

Once I was allowed entry into Anna's house, I bribed the servants not to tell Anna when she arrived that I was in. I hid in her study, where I knew she would read the letter I had given her servant to give to her.

I must admit, she was a spoilt rich girl with parents who abandoned her but left her quite a fortune- surprisingly.

When I heard the door to the study room creak, I smiled with delight. It was time.

As she sat in her chair with a smile that only dropped mid-way through the letter, I crept behind her.

When I was sure she had finished reading it, I drove the extremely sharp sword through the chair into her chest.

Lets just say I found a sword in the  closet I was hiding in. The closet in Anna's study where she kept her collection of  items pertaining to the medevial  times.

~~End of Flashback~~

That is how it all happened. Again, I would say she really deserved it. Every action has a price to pay!