||Chapter 5||

Robert

Dad came home with a sad look on his face. When we asked him why, he only gave us a sad smile.

It wasn't until dinner that he revealed what was bothering him. His lawyer had died a mysterious death.

"He was fine. Just fine when I met a few days ago. What happened? The world isn't fair." he said more to himself than the rest of us.

"I'm so sorry Uncle Jerome." Abi said sympathetically.

"That's alright sweetheart." he replied. "Thanks."

"Don't you think he was sick and no one knew about it?" my mother asked.

"No Cassy. I don't think so. All of his relatives say he was just fine. No disease. It buffles me to no end. But from what I heard, before he died he received a letter." he paused to put some meat in his mouth. "A very mysterious letter. Infact, it was empty." he added.

"Empty?" Tracy asked.

"Yeah. Empty but with a subscription. One I haven't seen in my life before. Yours Truly, Death!" he said.

"Yours Truly, Death?" again, my mother asked. "What kinda subscription is that?"

"Beats me. No one brought the letter to him. He just happened to have it when he was found dead." my dad sighed.

"Well may his soul rest in peace!" Jake said nonchalantly, earning him glances from everyone.

After dinner, the girls helped my mother in the kitchen whilst Jake and I went upstairs to play a game. We hadn't even settled down when my dad called after us. Grunting, we rushed back downstairs.

"I doubt you've had any form of work since you arrived here three days ago." my dad said to Jake.

"No Uncle Jerome." he replied like the polite boy he wasn't.

"Good. You two please help me unpack these things. Go get rags." he said pointing to three sealed boxes.

After dusting so many books and items, Jake and I went upstairs to have our bath. We were sprawled out my bed after bathing, when there was a knock.

"Come in." I yelled with my eyes shut.

The girls entered. "We were bored and thought a game of ghost tears with you guys would do." Anna spoke.

"No problem." I replied confidently knowing I was going to win.

As we began playing the game which was fun with all the teasing, I saw a shadow dancing across the wall I was facing. I stared wide eyed at the shadow ignoring everything around me. I didn't even realise it was my turn until Jake shoved me in the ribs with his elbows.

"It's you turn Rob." Tracy told me. I squinted at the paper though the light was as bright as ever, trying to make out what was written. After trying so hard, I focused my attention on it and suggested any letter without thinking twice.

Lifting my head I caught my sister gaping wide-eyed at the wall she was facing. Was she seeing what I was seeing? I asked myself. I averted my gaze to the wall behind Tracy and realised the shadow was gone.

I was getting scared. No scratch that. I was terrified! Was the house sort of haunted or something? I asked myself. Or I was imagining things? Either way it was still wierd. Why would I imagine something like that.

"Hey what's up with you two? You look pale." Jake asked.

"Like you've seen a ghost or something." Anna chimed in.

I opened my mouth and looked from Jake to Anna to Abi. They really didn't know what was going on. I didn't want to frighten them. Frighten them? They'd laugh at your stupidity! A voice in my mind mocked.

"Nothing. Nothing important." I replied.

"Yeah." Tracy agreed. "Lets go on."

We played the game until we decided we were tired. On a few occasions, Jake had to elbow me to bring my mind back to the game. I was deep in thought.

When the girls left my room, I immediately went to bed. Jake joined me as he complained about being tired countless times.

Some where in the middle of the night, I woke up with a jolt. I had a dream. Or so I thought. A ghostly figure was whispering to me. The whisper was so faint. Almost inaudible.

It was only when I saw the shadowy figure up on the wall that I realised that it might not be a dream after all.

The shadow moved towards me. No. It was now a ghostly figure. A woman dressed in a white flowing gown that disappeared midway to the floor. Her dark hair was all over her face making it impossible to identify her.

She was still moving until she finally gathered my figure in her bossom. I uttered a shrill cry!

This is quite short. So sorry. But comment and vote if you thought it was good. :) thanks a million.

...Xo