TWENTY FOUR

[31st of december 2019]

IT WAS NEW YEARS EVE AND APOLLO had been invited to harry and the cal's party. he told her to bring everything she needed as she was staying the night. she turned up early with the intention of helping setting up before getting ready in harry's bedroom, but when she turned up she saw the house completely transformed into party mode. the whole vibe of the house had changed with the many tables of drinks, silver foil streamers hanging from the windows and big metallic helium balloons. 

she was surprised the three boys who seemed clueless when they last spoke about the evening had decorated so well, but when an unfamiliar blue haired face jumped out from around the corner of their kitchen she knew it wasn't down to them. "hi! i'm gee!" she excitedly grinned. she was the bubbliest person apollo had ever met and it was their first time meeting and apollo had almost fallen in love. she had pretty glowing eyes and a wide smile. 
apollo had almost taken in gee for too long before replying, "i'm apollo, great to meet you!" she leant in for a hug which was gladly received, but cut slightly short. 

gee shook her head apologetically, "sorry i'm a bit ill at the moment, i don't want to give you what i've got." she warned which apollo accepted. before they went on chatting about how good the house looked and how well gee had decorated the place. 

after an hour or so in harrys bedroom, apollo was ready. it took harry far less time than her. he managed to go in and out, dry his hair and find some jeans and his childish hoodie and be downstairs to have some pre drinks before she met them down there. she didn't hesitate to take a few photos though, donning a white dress with black polka dots and her platform black doctor martens. she went for a casual but cute new years eve look. 
as she got downstairs a few people were already there. she found lux who introduced her to a few people, she struggled but managed to remember the names of will, mia, simon and talia. "i'm apollo," she smiled at everyone, "so nice to meet you all!" they all grinned back and began making small talk. 

harry walked up behind apollo and gave a small tap to her bum which she jumped at, trying to hide it so nobody grew suspicious. "you've all met apollo then?" he questioned, glad that she was getting on with his friends. his hand loosely snaked around her waist, their closeness catching everyones eye.
"aye, now you can shut up gushing about her every time we go out." will teased, causing everybody to laugh but harry who scrunched his face up with a smile. apollo turned to face the boy with a smile, finding his eyes before questioning; "so you're talking about me with your mates yeah?" 

everyone laughed as he pulled her away to get a drink with her. "what are you having?" he shouted over the music, as the table was stationed right next to the speakers. she looked at all of her options and chose a rum and coke, normally her drink of choice was captain morgan and apple juice; after a drunken sleepover at school helped her discover the amazing drink, but her options were limited then. 
"girl after my own heart." he stated, handing her a cup as he finished pouring his. "who else have you met tonight?" he questioned, not knowing that she had spent a grand total of 30 minutes downstairs and only properly spoke to the group they had just left. 

"only those lot, i spent a lot of time posing for instagram up in your bedroom before coming down here." she spoke honestly, she wanted to get some good pictures of herself to show how good she was feeling recently, after her little sad spell she found a strangely positive attitude and was planning on taking it into 2020 with her. 

"well lets get you acquainted with the rest of the sidemen shall we?" he suggested, lightly tugging her across the room where he spotted josh, freya, vik, tobi and ethan. "lads!" he called out, they all turned and smiled at harry and then gave the same smile - but slightly confused - to apollo. 
"everyone this is apollo, apollo this is everyone." he nodded. the group let out a small laugh and apollo raised an eyebrow, hoping he would give 'everyone' a name. "josh, his girlfriend freya, tobi, an indian and then big boy ethan." he joked, pointing from left to right. "no that ones vik." 

they all let out another little laugh as they gave individual hellos. "well how have you managed to pull this one then?" ethan joked. causing apollo to blush a bit and look down at her feet. not sure if it was banter or flirting. tobi's palms met his face as he shook his head a bit, unimpressed but laughing at his friends bad sense of humour. 

"no offence harry, but apollo is actually a 10/10 like she's well out of your league." freya laughed, joining in in a less direct way. making it clear to apollo it was just a joke and she was thankful for it. 
she leant in a bit more to harry, "careful, your mates are trying to steal me away from you and i might just have to go after freya." she laughed, winking at the girl across from her. 

harry started stuttering over his words before managing to choke out, "are you joking? i thought it'd be nice to introduce everyone to my girlfriend and now they're all abusing me or trying to move to her." he laughed, as did everyone else. "i actually can't win - right we're going." they all laughed and said goodbyes as apollo was pulled away again, waving to the people she left behind. 

however harry said one thing that stuck out to her. the word 'girlfriend'. they probably expected it but the two had never made it official. they had acted like it but never had the serious conversation. 

after he dragged her about the party for the next couple of hours, it was approaching the countdown. they had found themselves under a gazebo on the balcony, drinks in hand. apollos legs were placed over harry's lap, as she was close to him and cuddled under a blanket they had placed out. 
they were in a comfortable silence, listening to the music and watching the early fireworks go off around london. then apollo turned to him, "girlfriend eh?" she questioned.
hoping he knew what she was talking about. she had dreaded this conversation, fearing her feelings were not reciprocated. but the words he let slip earlier made it clear they certainly were. 

he looked awkward again, scratching the back of his head as he always did. "yeah, about that. do you wanna be my girlfriend?" 

the girl sat in front of him stared amorously into his eyes. happiness inside her bubbling as the boy who she shockingly caught feelings for was saying the words she had so desperately wanted to hear. unbeknownst to her how good it would feel to be asked that question. their gaze was locked as there was a roaring countdown that apollo paid no attention to. her eyes drifted down to stare at his lips, much awaiting an answer as they were slightly gaped. "of course." with no hesitation she closed the short distance between their lips.

a cheer of "three! two! one!" encased them. cheers, party blowers, fireworks, fog horns and the music now being drowned out by the additional noise. they took no notice and continued to melt into each other. the kiss having so much more meaning now than it did before.