TWENTY SEVEN

[nineteenth of january 2020]

THE TRIAL WAS FINALLY OVER, APOLLO WAS greeted outside by her friends and harry. they all looked up intently, their faces asking the same question. "seven years." was all she could say before she broke down in happy tears, while simultaneously being surrounded by hugs by the entire group.
everybody muttering words of support into her ear.

"i'm so proud of you."
"we believed in you."
"you've done it love, you're free."
"i've never been prouder of you darling."
"you're so strong."
"you're an incredible woman." 

the uplifting words of those she loved the most only caused more tears to slip from her eyes. she didn't know what to do or how to feel. so much of her life in recent times had become consumed by this dark shadow that was the whole situation, and now it was clear again. 
"i can't thank you all enough." she choked out, being met by another flock of arms encasing her in a hug and more words of support. 
"okay okay i think i'm fine." she chuckled, wiping her tears on her sleeve, "i'm just so relieved." 

"so are we! we would've started burning shit if that arsehole walked free you know." leigh stated, in her true 'fuck the patriarchy' fashion, bringing a smile to apollos face. 
she met her gaze and nodded, "i know you would've and that scares me a little bit," everyone laughed at her remark, "but i appreciate it. i appreciate everything every single one of you have done for me." 
as she looked around the group her eyes landed on harry, his smile melting her heart a little bit. she placed an arm around his waist and leant into him. earning a kiss on the top of her head. 
all of her friends awed at the sight of the happy, now official, couple. earning a middle finger from apollo. 
"if you're gonna be cringey you can all fuck off." they all feigned offence and apollo smiled at them, "no but seriously i have a date with this one, some ice cream and my sofa i reckon. you're all welcome to come if you want but i don't want to have to keep you any longer than you've been stuck out here." 

the girls decided unanimously they would leave apollo and harry for some alone time, knowing the pair would want to spent time together after the events of the day. apollo thanked them and headed the opposite direction with harry, hand in hand and just thinking. he was proud of the girl, his girl. though he didn't know what he could do to show it.

they made their way to her flat, driving through the rain which fell onto the windscreen in a calming manner. "pull over." apollo demanded, noticing a park near the thames. he looked over at her confused but did as she said, pulling into the spot and watching her as she jumped out of the car. 
he only got more confused as he watched her, signalling for him to get out of the car and join her. though he didn't want to get rained on, he couldn't resist the girls smile. "what are you doing?"

she chuckled and flashed him the same smile he loved, "dancing in the rain." she span herself around and her fingertips ghosted his hands, pulling him to move to the non existent rhythm. 
he started blankly for a second, "to what music?" 
she shook her head, "we don't need music, just follow my lead and dance with me in the rain." 

he obliged and laughed at the girl as she twirled underneath the trees and in the flower beds, earning strange looks from the few passer-by's who didn't understand the meaning behind her actions. she was dancing in the rain because she felt free, felt like a weight was lifted. 
once her top had almost turned see-through he pulled her back into him, "the rain's getting a little bit heavy." he stated the obvious.

she nodded, admiring his face and the way it glowed in the sun that was only just starting to peek through the rain clouds. his hand moved up to brush a wet strand of hair out of her face, "sorry, it was covering your face and i just wanted to get a better look at you." she buried her head in his chest, laughing at the cliche words leaving his mouth. 

staring back up at him and admiring every little feature she thought to herself, that maybe she was falling in love with him. "i really want to kiss you right now." he confessed candidly. 
"do it then." was all the permission he needed from her to dive down and connect their lips. the rain was falling in bigger droplets over their faces but they didn't care. they couldn't get away from one another, both of them failing to notice the vibrant rainbow forming over the river thames. 

instead they were focused on how much they loved the other, though both of them were too scared to say it just yet.