TWENTY EIGHT

[thirty first of january 2020]

IT WAS AROUND FIVE THIRTY IN THE morning and apollo woke up to the sound of her phone ringing. she was confused and debated not answering, but a voice inside her head was telling her it could be an emergency so she woke herself up and answered the phone. 
"hello?" she spoke down the line, groggily and slightly irritated. she hadn't even looked at the contact so she was waiting eagerly to see who it was. 

there was a shuffling and multiple muffled voices before she could make out who it was, "harry?" he had flown out to miami a few days ago for a boxing fight his friend gib was in. she wasn't expecting to hear anything from her boyfriend for the rest of the night as when she said goodnight as the event was about to start. 
"oh apollo, it's all gone to shit." he was clearly drunk, putting on a voice that sounded sad but he was joking underneath it. that omission lead her to believe that his friend had lost the fight, to make matters worse it was a fight against jake paul.

she sighed sympathetically, "oh no, what's happened?" he groaned and grumbled down the line again, "gib lost, it was the shittest fight i've ever seen." there were voices in the background jeering him, telling him not to be rude about it but he couldn't bring himself to lie for the sake of his friend. 
apollo had to hide some laughs, "it was really that bad?" she couldn't imagine his loss was that catastrophic. he chuckled, a real belly laugh. "apollo he looked like a crab in that ring, the man was ducking and sidestepping all over the place he practically ko'd himself."

cal started shouting down the phone, "apollo he's not lying, i'd tell you to go watch it but it's so depressing i don't think you should." she laughed at his friends, telling him to say hi from her which he did. "what time is it there?" one of them asked, harry only then realising he'd woken his girlfriend up. 
"oh shit sorry were you sleeping?" she hummed a bit, "i was until you called, it's fine though i would've been waking up in a bit anyway. what time is it there?" she lied as she realised it was five in the morning. 

he paused for a minute, 'umm'ing through the speaker. "its just gone twelve," he made a noise that could only be described as a squeal in disgust, "god it's only twelve. this had been the longest night of my life."
apollo yawned, "well it's five here, have you all just been drinking the sorrows away?" 
"yup, we're just wandering around the streets with bottles of drink and i felt like calling you." although that statement didn't scream romance, apollo was thankful he was thinking of her. she heard a few sarcastic 'aw's from his friends as he told them to 'shut up'. 

she laughed, "and they say romance is dead." he got defensive, beginning to stutter over his words, "well if you'd prefer me to leave you alone.." he drawled, threatening to end the call. 
"i'm only joking, i'm glad you called. so what else are you doing tonight or are you going to go to sleep drowning in your sorrows." 
there was a slight pause in conversation as the boys debated directions, apollo wasn't sure where to but there was a bit of bickering and back and forth of 'it's this way' and 'no we came from that way' 

harry finally remembered he was on the phone at one point, "sorry we just got confused for directions, i don't think we know if we're going back to drink at the hotel or going to a club. we don't really feel like celebrating to be honest." apollo hummed, understanding their disappointment. "how is gib?" she had only met him a few times but he seemed nice enough, she felt sorry for him - especially if his loss was as catastrophic as harry had made it seem

"oh he's a bit pissed off, think he's taking it like champ though but he's not happy." harry sighed, feeling bad for his friend. he was about to speak again but freezy cut him off, shouting into the microphone. "apollo we love you lots, but if we don't get home soon i think i'm going to pass out. so i'm gonna steal harrys phone for directions." somehow he sounded more drunk than harry did and it caused apollo to laugh

"alright, i'll let you go and go back to sleep for a bit. be careful." she smiled down the phone, chuckling to herself as she heard him barely say goodbye before there was a scuffle for who took it to open google maps.