Chapter 2

“Your Highness, it is time to awaken,” Sehun calls, placing a hand on Suho’s shoulder. Suho opens his eyes and groans. He had such a bad headache, just like he always did after a night of crying. He rubs the crust from his eyes as he sits up. He glances to the floor to find that the pillows had been removed and the blankets put away. Mieko was gone.
    “I sent the girl away,” Sehun informs, going to Suho’s closet and picking out the clothes the prince would wear that day. “I told her to rub her eyes and muss her hair. I also bruised her arms and jaw, just in case.”
    “Thank you,” Suho sighs.
    “If you don’t mind me asking, why did you take her?” Sehun questions. Suho rubs his eyes again.
    “It’s kind of a long story,” Suho informs. Sehun shrugs. Suho goes over to the mirror and sits in front of it. Sehun picks up the brush and runs it through Suho’s hair until it looks tame. He then assists the prince in getting ready for the day. Before Suho can even put on his house shoes though, he hears someone run into his public chambers.
    “Suho!” he hears Kai calls, then runs into Suho’s private chambers.
    “What is wrong, Kai?” Suho questions.
    “Father planned a betrothal agreement for Yerim,” Kai pants. “To the prince of Andival.”
    “The prince of Andival?!” Suho gasps. The man was renowned for his large harem, which included many women whom he had never touched. He never let them leave either. So once she was married, he would never see her again. None of them would ever see her again. He grabs Kai by the arms. “Has he signed it yet?”
    “No,” Kai answers quickly. “I came as soon as I found out. You and Xiumin are father’s favorites, only you guys can change his mind!”
    “Did you tell Xiumin already?” he asks, taking Kai by the shoulders and shaking him. His brother nods quickly. He pushes Kai aside and dashes out of his room. He ignores Sehun running after him with his actual shoes and charges towards his father’s room. Xiumin was already waiting in his father’s public chambers. His normally emotionless face was filled with concern, and he looks a bit relieved when he sees Suho.
    “Kai told you?” he asks.
    “Yes,” Suho replies quickly. “Where is Father?”
    “He’s been with a concubine since the arrangement.”
    “A-a concubine?” Suho sputters. Their mother had been dead for less than 24 hours and he was already sleeping with a concubine? There hadn’t even been a funeral yet.
    “It’s some new boy he picked up a few months ago,” Xiumin explains. He’s slept with him every day since he was sold to the palace.”
    “We have a male concubine?” Suho questions in surprise.
    “He wasn’t supposed to be a concubine, but father apparently saw him and forced him into the bedroom.”
    Suho sighs. While it was sad and sick, it didn’t surprise him. His father was ruthless, especially in bed. Concubines had come out bruised and bleeding before. No one was excused; not even their mother when she was still well enough to have sex.
    After a few moments, a young boy comes stumbling out of their father’s private chambers. His clothes were torn and he had fresh bruises decorating his face. He looks surprised upon seeing them, but bows rapidly and limps out. His father comes out next, looking satisfied. He was dressed only in a robe and his undergarments.
    “What do you two need?” the emperor asks. His voice was happy and lazy, indicating that this would be an easy talk. Hopefully.
    “Yerim can't marry the Prince of Andival,” Xiumin says calmly. “He will treat her badly and we’ll never see her again.”
    “So?”
    “We can’t lose our mother and our sister,” Suho explains. “Please father. Anybody but him.”
    “We need to build alliances,” their father deadpan, then smiles a bit while nodding. “But, I’ll make you, and your brothers since I know they’re involved, a deal. If you can find someone else for her to marry before the Prince of Andival arrives here to sign the agreement, I’ll allow her to marry them instead of him.”
    “How long do we have?” Xiumin questions.
    “Five weeks.”
    “Thank you, father.”
    They both bow and start to exit.
“By the way, Suho, how was last night?” their father asks. Suho cringes and turns back to his father. Xiumin stops too, curious and confused.
    “She was… inexperienced,” Suho answers.
    “How so?” his father sounds skeptical. “You don't have much to base her off of.”
    “It's been described to me before,” Suho explains quickly, then rubs the back of his neck awkwardly. “I don’t feel comfortable discussing my nightly activities, Father. I apologize.”
    He bows, but his father waves his hand.
    “It’s quite alright, Suho. I know others who feel the same way,” he says. “Tell Sehun to fetch Lucas for me again. And tell him to tell Lucas to bring a book. I want someone to read to me.”
    “Of course, father,” Suho says. He and Xiumin bow before exiting.
    “When did Father give you a concubine?” Xiumin asks.
    “She’s the daughter of the doctor I took Mother to,” Suho explains quietly. “It was the guard’s fault but he insisted on punishing the family. He was going to take her younger brother.”
    “How young?”
    “He probably wasn’t older than ten.”
    “So you insisted on her?”
    “She didn’t do anything wrong,” Suho insists. “Neither did her father or her brother. But her brother I couldn’t protect if I brought him to the palace.”
    “And you can protect her?” Xiumin raises an eyebrow. “You’re not allowed in the harem. Lucas isn’t even allowed in the harem, and he’s a member of it.”
    “But if I say she’s mine, it’s far less likely that she’ll be hurt by anyone.”
    “The harem is far more deadly than any battlefield, Suho,” Xiumin warns. “The only difference is that it kills you slowly, and puts you through as much emotional pain as possible.”
    “I know, Xiumin.” Suho sighs and rubs his face. “Mieko is strong. She’ll be able to handle it. She won’t be sleeping there often either; I’ll make a place for her in my chambers.”
    “In your private chambers?” Xiumin exclaims. “If Father were to find out…”
    “That depends on his mood,” Suho shrugs. “To be safe though, the only people who will know that she is not being used for nightly pleasures are Sehun and you.”
    “Not even Kai?”
    “Especially not Kai. He cannot keep a secret.”
    “And I can?” Suho stops to stare at his older brother in horror.
    “You will tell Father?”
    “No, Suho, I will not tell a soul,” Xiumin sighs. “But be careful.”
    “I will.”
    They are silent for a few seconds.
    “Her name is Mieko?”
    “Yes.”
    “Is she foreign?”
    “I don’t think so, but it is possible. Her father knew healing methods that I’ve certainly never seen.”
    “Is she pretty?” Of course, Xiumin wanted to know that.
    “She’s not so stunning that my eyes are immediately drawn to her,” Suho explains, recalling Mieko’s face and body. “But if she’s in the room, you can’t help but notice her. She has a soft, quiet beauty. You want to look at her when she arrives, and you can’t stop looking at her once you do.”
    “She sounds wonderful,” Xiumin mumbles.
    “Have you been writing to your fiancée?” Suho asks.
    “Not really.” Xiumin sighs and cracks his neck. “She’s been working to improve on our language, but her grammar is so bad that it makes it almost impossible to read. She’s too stubborn to write in her own tongue though, even though I told her she could.”
    “You could send over a new tutor for her,” Suho suggests. “Then she wouldn’t be so out of place when she comes to join the harem. If she can’t speak with anyone, they’ll tear her apart.”
    “Can you guarantee that she’ll have at least one friend?” Xiumin asks, stopping and turning to face his brother. Suho tilts his head.
    “I can’t go to the harem,” Suho points out, then realizes what Xiumin meant. “I’ll talk to Mieko tonight, but I can’t guarantee anything.”
    “That’s all I can ask of you, I suppose,” Xiumin sighs.
    “How old is Hallriin now?” Suho questions.
    “17.”
    “And she hasn’t had her first blood?”
    Xiumin shrugs. “She’s had it, but there were a lot of complications with it. I told her to not tell my Father or her Father, so she could figure out what was wrong. She’ll be coming within the year though.”
    “I’ll try my best to make sure Mieko is kind to her,” Suho assures. “Mieko could probably also help her as well.”
    “Who do you know that would be a possible suitor for Yerim?” Xiumin asks after several moments of silence.
    “I’ll send a message to Cory and ask if he’s still single and willing to marry her,” Suho says. “In his country, women aren’t kept in harems at all. We’ll get to see her as often as we want.”
    “I’ll contact Ryeowook,” Xiumin muses. “Hyungsik is a good option too.” Xiumin shakes his head. “They’re all so much older than her though.”
“We could ask Kai,” Suho offers. “He probably knows younger royal men.”
    “I’ll inform and ask Chen,” Xiumin announces as they reach Suho’s room. “You speak with Kai.”
    Suho nods and bids his brother farewell before summoning Sehun. The eunuch arrives within a few minutes.
    “What can I do for you, my prince?” he asks.
    “Send Lucas to my father. And tell him to bring a book,” Suho orders, going to his desk. “When you finish, tell Kai I need to speak with him.”
    “Of course my prince,” Sehun bows and leaves. Suho starts writing letters to his connections in foreign countries. Kai skips in about 20 minutes later and Suho explains the deal he and Xiumin made. When he finishes, Kai’s jaw is on the ground. He leaps up.
    “I have to go write Taemin and Sanha!” Kai shouts, running out. Suho smiles and continues to write the letters. He’s at it for hours, until Sehun finally knocks.
    “My prince?” he asks quietly.
    “Yes?”
    “Will you be wanting Mieko tonight?” Sehun inquires. Suho yawns.
    “Yes, I will be wanting her tonight,” Suho answers, shaking himself awake. “Can you bring me tea as well?”
    “What kind?”
    “Something that will keep me awake, and with mint in it.”
    “Yes, my prince.”
    He rubs his face and leans back in his chair. He rests until there is another knock at the door. He tells the person to enter, and Mieko walks in with a tea tray in her hands.
    “Your Highness, are you okay?” she asks quietly. He nods drowsily.
    “You may set the tea on my desk,” Suho says. “If you’re tired, you can go to sleep.”
    “I am to just sleep?” she asks, her voice confused and sleepy. He nods while she pours the steamy liquid into a cup. He takes the cup and blows the steam off of it before taking a sip. It burns his mouth and throat, but he ignores it as the liquid warms his stomach.
    “I already told you that I would not violate you,” he assures. “You may sleep.”
    “I am not tired, my prince,” Mieko says softly.
    “You sound tired,” Suho muses. “What troubles your mind?”
    “You don’t need to concern yourself with me, my prince,” she assures softly. “When are you going to sleep?”
    “I don’t know. I have letters to write.”
    “What kinds of letters?”
    “My father arranged a horrible betrothal for my sister and gave us the opportunity to stop it,” Suho explains. “So I’m writing some of my connections to see if they’ll take her hand.”
    “Is your sister named Yerim?” Mieko inquires.
    “Did you meet her?” Suho asks, turning his attention to her. Mieko nods.
    “She was crying all day,” Mieko replies. “It must have been because the betrothal you speak of. I gave her something to help her sleep tonight.”
    “What did you give her?” Suho asks, alarmed. Yerim sometimes had allergic reactions to medicines, just like he did.
    “Just an herbal tea,” she answers. “It wasn’t strong though, the herbs I needed to make it strong enough to allow her a peaceful rest for the whole night.”
    “Did you just have the herbs on you?” Suho questions.
    “My brother had trouble sleeping too, so I always kept my herb sack with me. I had it when you took me.”
    “Do have enough herbs to make the tea again, just in case she, or anyone else, need it?”
She shakes her head mournfully.
    “I can make a weak painkiller, and I have my acupuncture needles,” Mieko says.
    “Would you like to start an herb garden?” he asks. Her head snaps up. He nods and turns back to his work. “I’ll tell Sehun to get you seeds when he comes to pick you up tomorrow. I’ll give you permission to use a section of the greenhouse.” 
    “Thank you, my prince,” she bows.
    “If you’re not going to sleep, sit down at least,” Suho says. Mieko sinks to her knees, then crosses her legs. He glances down at her, then jerks his head up again. Her legs were exposed almost all the way up to her most private area. He then takes the decorative blanket from the back of his chair and hands it to her. She covers her legs with it.
    “Thank you,” she whispers. He nods to her before continuing to write his letters. He yawns after a few hours.
    “You need to sleep, my prince,” Mieko says softly.
    “Who are you to order me about?” Suho mumbles. Mieko apologizes immediately. He shakes his head. “You’re right, though. I should sleep. I just have to finish—”
    “Suho, are you awake?” his father calls, entering his public chambers. Suho jerks and pulls Mieko up by the arm.
    “Play along or we’re both in trouble,” he orders quietly and quickly. She nods in understanding. He presses his lips to hers and pulls her to him so that her legs straddled his crotch. He grabs her hair and makes a fist just as his father walks in. He shoves her off and she hits the ground, hard. Suho shoots her a brief apologetic look before bowing to his father.
    “Father,” he greets. His father looks at Mieko, who gets onto her knees and prostrates herself on the ground.
    “I see you’re enjoying yourself.” The emperor indicates to the girl on the ground. Suho gulps, then fixes his best lust-filled gaze on Mieko. The dress she was wearing had risen up enough that he could see the start of her bottom, so he immediately looks back up.
    “Very much so, Father,” Suho replies. “What can I do for you?”
    “How many suitor suggestions do you have ready?”
    “12, sir,” Suho gathers the letters.
    “How many of them have royal blood?”
    “Eight. The other four are from powerful families that have close ties with royalty.”
    “How many are princes or kings?”
    “Four.”
    “She is only to marry a prince, king, or emperor. Anyone less isn’t an option,” the emperor informs coldly.
    “Of course, Father.” Suho closes his eyes for a few seconds, then nods.
    “Now, concerning your betrothal.” His father sits at his desk chair and puts his feet on Mieko’s back. Suho stiffens. “The king of Foeteli will be arriving in a few days. You are to share a dinner with him when he arrives. If all goes well, his daughter will be your betrothed.”
    “I will do everything within my power to make a good impression on him,” Suho assures. The Emperor nods then exits without so much as a goodbye to his son. He hurries over to Mieko and helps her up.
    “Are you okay?” he questions, brushing the dirt off of her back. She nods. “I’m sorry I had to treat you so poorly.”
    “I am fine, my prince.” Mieko pulls her nightdress down so it covered her legs better. “Are you okay?”
    He tilts his head. “What do you mean?”
    “You worked all day writing letters to possible suitors for your sister, and only a third of them can be sent out.”
    “I can send out five of them. One of my close friends recently was crowned king, and his betrothed died recently.” He yawns. “It’s time to sleep.”
    The two of them enter Suho’s private chambers; Suho sets out the pillows and blankets for her to sleep on before climbing into his own bed.
    “Mieko, tell me of your day,” he orders after a few moments of lying there awake. He hears her sit up and yawn.
    “Sehun sent me back to the harem before the sky was awake. When I arrived, the other concubines and women asked me many questions.”
    “About what?” he asks with a yawn.
    “About you.”
    “What kinds of things about me?”
    “There were many vulgar questions—”
    “Like what?” He can sense her hesitating. “Do not be afraid, Mieko. I am merely curious; no harm will befall you or the women of the harem.” She takes a deep breath.
    “There were many inquiries about your… size, my prince, as well as questions about your performance in bed. Some women asked if I enjoyed myself and if you were concerned with my pleasure or only your own.”
    “What did you tell them?” Suho asks, amused.
    “Nothing. I dare not answer questions like that.” Mieko’s tone is even, but her words are hurried. She was embarrassed. “They asked about the bruises Sehun inflicted as well. I didn’t tell them that it was him though. I kept my silence and went back to my room. But I was very lonely, as the room is for your concubines and wives, and I am the only one.”
    “You were lonely?”
    “Very. I am quite used to being around people; my father’s house is always open to those in need. While the quiet was wonderful for a few moments, I was lonely and restless very quickly. So I went wandering around the harem and ran into a boy.”
    “A boy was in the harem?” Suho questions, suddenly alert. Eunuchs were the only males allowed in the harem, and they were not exactly boys. Sehun was the youngest, and he was already 24 winters.
    “Yes. He was bleeding and his face was bruised. He looked very scared when he saw me and begged me not to beat him. As I was telling him I had some herbs to make a painkiller, Yerim marched out of her chambers and told me to leave him be.”
    “How do my sister and he relate?”
    “I think she called him… Lucius?” Mieko’s voice is confused, but he knows whom she spoke of.
    “Lucas,” he informs dryly. “He’s my father’s favorite right now.”
    “Yes, that was it,” Mieko agrees. “She told me to leave him alone and that he couldn’t help what he was forced to be any more than I could. I then told her that I only wanted to make him a painkiller, and she calmed down. She took him and me into her personal chambers and allowed me to take care of his wounds. When he was asleep, we began to talk. We talked until Sehun came to fetch Lucas. He scolded Yerim for bringing him in but didn’t punish any of us. He also told me that I should go bathe and that you will likely be wanting me tonight. I left Yerim the herbs to make tea to help her sleep and left. I came here after I prepared myself.”
    “How old are you Mieko?” he suddenly asks. He feels a sinking feeling in his stomach as he awaits the answer.
    “When winter comes I will be 21,” she replies. “How old are you?”
    “28 winters.” Her answer was somewhat relieving, but it still made him sick to think someone so close to his sister’s age was forced into a life of sexual servitude.
    “Seven years older,” she mumbles.
    “Mieko, are you any good at storytelling?” he asks.
    “My brother loved my stories, but I don’t know if you would,” she answers. “Would you like to hear one anyway?”
    “Yes.”
    She is silent for a few minutes, then takes a deep breath.
    “Once upon a time, a princess was often compared to a flower. She was too dainty to touch but strong enough to live in the world outside the palace. Yet, she was too sad to be alone. So she needed a loving hand, someone to give her constant care.
    “Her hair was long and silken, reminiscent of that of a glossy panther. Her eyes were a rich brown, smooth like the ground after a heavy rainstorm. Her mere presence could make a whole room to silence.
    “But the moment she opened her mouth, her beauty was of no importance. She spoke with such a screech that even the smallest of insects were scared away.
    “Men could come to court her; they’d sing and dance with great vigor to earn a smile from her cherry lips. But the moment she opened those dainty lips, the men would flee in fear and disgust. Her voice was more terrible than even that of the witches who lived in the mountains overlooking the land.
    “The princess refused to believe this. She believed that she was perfect in every way; she believed that men left because her presence was too powerful. When her father, the king, mentioned how quickly she went through her attendants, she brushed it off as them being lazy.
    “The king, however, was not so naïve. He knew very well why no one returned to the palace after his or her first visit. He knew why birds fled when his daughter began to sing, or why the maids readjusted their faces so they showed no emotion when they entered the same room as her.
    “But still, the princess refused to believe…”