15

During Chemistry, I was called into the principal's office.

I remember being called to the principal's office often on multiple occasions back then. It was never for a good reason. Actually, it was usually because I was going to get suspended. The last few times were because of the year I had to sit out.

So being called over this time made my heart race.

I've been laying low, not getting into any fights. My grades are perfectly fine so it can't be that. Then again Mr. Gallagher and I have a pretty extensive history when it goes back to my first attempt at senior year. He was the one that let me come back to school.

He's not exactly mean or unreasonable, he's just intimidating. He takes his job seriously and isn't afraid to put his foot down when he needs to. Everyone respects him and nobody messes with him. I'm honestly surprised his punishments were never severe. That already says a lot.

He's an older man with thin hair that he attempts to slick back. He's always wearing some kind of suit and smells like Old Spice cologne.

I walked into his office. He was already sitting down behind his large desk. His blue suit and accessories looking sleek and clean, as usual.

He stood up and gave me a smile, "Ms. Jolie. Long-time no see."

"I didn't do anything, I swear," I said quickly.

He shook his head with his smile, "Nova, you didn't do anything. I just wanted to bring you in cause I haven't seen you at all. I would've thought you would stop by to say hi or fill me in on how everything's been."

I sighed heavily, "You've gotta be kidding. Don't scare me like that."

He sat back down in his chair and signaled me to sit too.

I carefully sat down and put my messenger bag on my lap. Now I'm slightly annoyed he'd waste my time
like this.

"The adjustment period seemed to be over long before it started," He said. "Your grades are fantastic. No ones complained about you or made any remarks."

I nodded, "Yeah, I'm just ready to graduate. I want to finish this out strong."

"How is Mr. Jolie? He must be extremely proud and happy about how well you've bounced back."

I forced a laugh, "He's ... busy these days. Only person in the house making money so ..."

"Ah ... I understand. A man's gotta do what a mans gotta do. I'm glad you both are doing better."

"Thanks, Mr. Gallagher, really. I appreciate everything you've done for me."

He shrugged, "My job is to make sure each one of my students is getting the education they need. If there are internal conflicts affecting my students I have no choice, but to get involved. You're a good kid, Nova. You deserved a second chance, never forget that."

I didn't really know what to say. This is a little ... too rehearsed. What does he really want?

I watched him lean over on his desk. The atmosphere definitely got tenser. Is he about to tell me what he really brought me in for?

He spoke in a serious tone, "But I did want to ask you about a few things,"

"Shoot."

Not like I really have a choice.