Part 6: Loving Arms

Katniss's P.O.V.

It's been one week since I told Peeta yes. Yes to marriage. Yes to staying. Yes to forever. Yes to my heart. I haven't felt happier, more alive, in a very long time. I know I will continue to as long as I am with Peeta. I love him so much. And he loves me so much. We decided to share this information at our monthly interview. I haven't worn my ring out in public. Just as a precaution. But Peeta and I have been inseparable. I can't not have him on my mind even. Being alone is hard too. I just want him. I wake up early and see him sleeping peacefully beside me. His blonde curls shine in the morning light. I wrap my arms around him and intertwine my legs with his. I hear him breathe heavy then roll over in my arms. He faces me.

"Good morning, Kat." He says.

"Moring." I say and kiss him.

"Do you work today?" I ask.

"Not until Thursday." He says.

"Good. I just want to spend time with you." I say and smile.

He smiles too. "I'll make us some bread for breakfast. Then maybe we can go to the meadow." He says.

"Sounds wonderful." I say.

He sits up and gets out of bed. I get up too. I go to my closet and get out some clothes. Then I go to the bathroom. I undress and turn on the water. I wait for it to warm up, then step in. I hear a knock on the door, then it opens. I pull the curtain over a bit.

"May I join you?" Peeta ask.

I smile. "Of course." I say and close the curtain.

Peeta comes in with me momentarily. I move forward a bit and let the water hit both of us. I rest my head on the shower wall. Peeta has his arms around my waist. We let the warm water roll down our bodies. I wash myself, and Peeta does. I turn off the water, and step out. Peeta comes out too. I dry myself and look at myself. I sigh. I see every flaw. All the cuts, old burns, scars. I wrap a towel around me so I don't see myself.

"You do know you're beautiful, right?" Peeta says as I leave the bathroom.

I look at him. I smile a little. "I guess." I say.

"Don't guess. It's true." He says.

I nod a bit. I put on my clothes. I just wear a long sleeve shirt and jeans. I braid my hair down my back. It has grown so much. It's almost to the end of my rear. Peeta comes out dressed in jeans and a T-shirt.

"I'll go start that bread." He says and kissed my cheek.

I smile. "Thank you." I say.

I follow him downstairs. He goes to the kitchen, and I stay in the living room. I look out the window at our small neighborhood. It is almost fall. The leaves are changing and falling down off the trees. It is one of my favorite seasons. Most of the wildlife is going away, along with the fresh foods, but it is a peaceful season. The beauty and serenity of nature. The weather. All of it. I notice that the mailbox. The flap is up to notify mail is there. I get up to go get it. I am met by a cool breeze upon opening the door. It feels good. I walk to the mailbox. I open it and take out everything. I carry it inside. I sit back down on the couch and look through it all. There isn't much. A couple bills and things. I come across an envelope. It has only my name on it. No return address either. I immediately know who it is from by how my name is written.

'Mom...' I think.

I carefully open the envelope. I take out the letter and read it.

"Katniss,

I know that a long time has passed since the last time we last spoke. I am sorry it took this long. I know it wasn't fair of me to block out you like the way I did all those years ago. It was selfish of me. I still have a daughter. And I abandoned her. I am transferring to the hospital in 12 this week. If you can find it in you to see me again... I'd be happy to see you again. I love you Katniss. So very much. I hope I can still be your mother.

-Mom"

I fold the letter back up. I sit there almost in a daze. I have all but forgotten her. It was my anger that took her out of my memories. But now that I've seen this... it brings back the good. The guilt that I had left her. I can start to smell the fresh warmth of bread. It brings me to a calm state of mind. I get up and go to the kitchen. Peeta is pulling out the bread when I walk in.

"Perfect timing I guess." I say.

"Almost. Still has to cool." He says.

I smile and sit down at the island.

"Who's that from?" Peeta asks.

"It's from Mom." I say.

"Oh, really?" Peeta says.

I nod. "It's been a long time." I say quietly.

"How do you feel?" he asks and holds my hand.

"I feel good. Nervous, but happy. She's moving back to 12." I explain.

"That's good right? Then you can rebuild what was lost." Peeta says.

"It will." I say.

Peeta rubs my knuckles with his thumb.

"We'll have to tell her, and everyone else." I say.

"I know. But it'll be okay." He says.

"She's coming here this week. I don't know when. I just want to tell her first. And the monthly interview is this Wednesday. I don't want her to find out by the world. I want to tell her in person." I say.

"Well, we could hold off until next month." Peeta says.

"The world wants us, Peeta. They will find out and then we'll be more attacked. I'd rather just tell them now. I just ...worry. I don't want her to find out from the nation, not her own daughter." I say.

"I know." He says and smiles softly. He kisses my hand. "Everything will work out. I promise."

"I hope so." I say.

"Come on, the bread is cooled enough." He says.

He gets a knife and a cutting board. I go to the fridge and get out butter and goat cheese. I get two small plates. Peeta cuts us two slices of bread. I spread one of mine with butter, the other with the goat cheese. We enjoy the early morning together.

~

Peeta's P.O.V.

I walk hand in hand with Katniss to the meadow. It is our most favorite place to be. The most place we are seen by the world too. But they leave us be. We sit under the willow. Which is slowly turning orange, red and yellow. We keep warm with a blanket around us. And arms around each other too. I watch the wind blow the flowers and greenery around. Katniss's loose strands of hair flows too. I see her grey eyes gleam in the sunlight. Her skin glows. I love her so much. And I can't wait to spend the rest of eternity with her