Chapter Ten

Before I can announce my revelation to Lina, my attention is stolen by a ripping sound. Lina's writing something on a thin strip of paper, and keeps writing as she speaks.

"I was considering pregabalin, but I think paroxetine will be better as I want to focus on CBT for the PTSD. The paroxetine will help treat the depression and panic disorder, and SSRIs can work effectively alongside ADHD."

Was I meant to understand a word of that? Lina looks up, and blinks as if remembering I'm in the room. She reaches over and places the strip of paper near my feet.

"I have also written a prescription for lisdexamfetamine," she says, which gets another blank stare from me. "For your ADHD. You have been taking methylphenidate since you were a child, so I think it could be good to try something different."

Lina reaches into her bag of tricks and pulls out an A4 booklet. She gestures it towards me, and Annabel has to flick my head for me to realise I'm meant to reach over and take it from her.

"Could've just said," I mutter under my breath.

"Flicking is more fun."

"We do not like only medication," Lina states after I take the booklet from her, and as a strong advocate of pop a pill and hope for the best, I'm not really with her on the whole we thing. "Cognitive behavioural therapy." She nods at the booklet in my hands. "I will try trauma-focused CBT for the PTSD, but I would like you to complete the first five pages of that before our next session."

Wait, what? I have homework. Whoa, no, I didn't sign up for this. This shit just gets worse and worse.

"I would usually recommend group therapy, but given your abilities, that is not possible." Thank you, ghosties. Life savers, the lot of you. "We do not need to worry, I am sure the CBT and medication will work well. I realise this is a lot of information, so I will leave some pamphlets here, but we can discuss what all of this means in detail in our next session."

Lina starts shoving all of her papers into her bag, and I'm about to take it as my cue to finally get the hell out of here, but Annabel flicks my head again.

"Ow! Stop doing that!" I say, loudly enough for it to warrant an apology to Lina.

"Stop trying to run away!" Annabel snaps.

I pull a face and mutter a few profanities under my breath. I must be more distracted than I thought because Lina taps my leg as she starts speaking again.

"Felix, this will not work if you do not try," she says, and it feels like I'm getting told off. "I know you do not like it, but your cooperation is crucial. You must take extra care to eat well, sleep enough, and look after your physical health," she continues, and I give her a thumbs up. A goddamn thumbs up. "If you begin having any problems with your abilities after starting the medication, you must tell me immediately. The ones I have prescribed are not known to impair abilities, but every person is different."

Lina throws her bag over her shoulder and stands up. She's heading for the door and I'm about to say a pseudo-cheery goodbye when she turns back around to face me.

"Thank you."

Oh, okay. Wasn't expecting that. I'm pretty sure my face has been in a constant state of confusion throughout this entire conversation--that, and intense distress, anyway. The look must still be there because Lina smiles, her hard features softening for a moment.

"For being honest."

Right. Lina says she'll see me on Monday, then leaves the room.

"Well, that was horrific," I announce as I jump to my feet.