Chapter Eleven

It takes me a disconcerting amount of time to realise what just happened. The dark spirit, the banished voices, the intense feeling of dread followed by the inexplicable sense of elation. I almost gave that spirit the ability to communicate with other dark spirits. I didn't mean to. I felt bad for the kid, and I just wanted to help. I didn't mean to do that.

"What, it just randomly came to mind? How the hell does that work?"

"No, I was with my boyfriend and--Well, not literally with him, he couldn't see or speak to me, but--"

"Surely that means it was him? If this sudden revelation hit you in his presence, doesn't that mean it was your boyfriend?"

Annabel keeps talking, but I'm not listening. We're back in Chiku and Sefu's garden, and Annabel and Lucy haven't stopped nattering, but I've barely processed a word either has said. Now the initial irritability of being interrupted has worn off, the euphoric sensation from whatever the hell I did back there keeps replaying in my head, again and again.

That's how I want to feel all the time. I'd never have to do any of this CBT shit again if I always felt like that. Could that be possible? I achieved the feeling without actually giving that spirit any ability to communicate with other dark spirits. I could do that again, couldn't I? It doesn't have to lead to anything bad. It can be harmless. I can control it.

We take cover inside the house where the blessing is a guaranteed protector, and I force my attention onto Lucy. She thinks it was her boyfriend's brother. It would make sense; it would be why she was so focused on her boyfriend after her death. Thinking of his brother would've been too traumatic, so her thoughts zoned in on the next best thing.

I'm well aware of how much of an arsehole this makes me, but I'm too distracted to care right now. I almost gave that dark spirit the ability to communicate with other dark spirits. Until literally a few minutes ago, I didn't see that as such a bad thing. Worse yet, no matter how much I tell myself not to, I still want it. I want that feeling back.

My mind is no less scrambled when Carmen shows up to the house later that day. I've given Kato a heads up about the Lucy revelation, and she's going to try and deal with it. I can't stop wondering what the hell I was thinking earlier. I actually thought it wasn't a big deal, genuinely believed I could go around almost giving dark spirits the ability to communicate with each other like it's nothing.

I've not said anything about it to Annabel, and I won't. I don't want to freak her out. My thoughts are still running in circles around this topic when Carmen shows up, and I have to make a conscious effort to switch them off.

"It's your lucky day," Carmen announces as we sit down onto one of the leather sofas.

I tilt my head, and shoot her a confused look as she leans back against the arm of the sofa, and stretches her legs over my lap.

"I'm taking you out. My treat. I know it's traditionally the other way around, but what glass ceiling, am I right?"

"What the hell are you talking about?" I ask through a laugh, and slowly, my anxiety over what happened this morning starts to thaw.

"We've been given the all clear by Kato and Sefu to go out," she explains. "On a date. First date, if I may add."

"Aw, what? Did sitting in a dirty alleyway while I telekinetically slam a glass bottle into a wall in Belfast mean nothing to you?"

Carmen reaches over, and smacks my arm. "At least pretend to be excited!"

There's a huge grin on my face, and I hope she's kidding because it's blatantly obvious how giddy I am. Not only am I getting a chance to escape the walls of this place, but I'm getting the chance to do something fun with exactly the right person. Carmen stands back up, and holds her hand out for me to take. As I do so, I glance over to Annabel on the other sofa, but she's speaking before I can even open my mouth.