When A Light Goes Out

-Oliver-

It was odd. As I spoke those words I just couldn't manage to feel afraid. So now I have three mers after me? Sounds great.

Rolling my eyes, I folded my arms on the bathtub's ledge and let my forehead drop down atop them. I could feel a headache trying to nudge its way in.

"Oliver?" Lyric mumbled near my left ear. I grumbled in response, but that just seemed to spur him on as he leaned over and licked at my hair.

Ewwww.

Lifting my head so that I could put my chin on my crossed arms, I raised my brows at the puppy look Lyric was giving me, his nose only a few inches from my own as he hunched over with a worried smile.

"Don't lick my hair, dorkfish."

He hummed and leaned forward, licking my nose.

Should have known.

"Don't lick my nose."

He pouted, sending a breath out of his blowhole before beginning to tilt his head and lean over.

Oh hell no!

I leaned back right before he could do it.

"Do. Not. Kiss. Me."

I had no idea where he had even learned that, though I had a feeling it was from Parker and Callem while I was asleep. Either way, there was no chance that he was going to be allowed to do that to me.

"Are you feeling okay now?" I grumbled, looking toward the plugged drain for a moment before glancing back at Lyric. He nodded so I carefully leaned over the tub and pulled the plug to begin draining it.

"Alright, we'll take you back to the ocean tomorrow. Till then, I guess you can just stay in the pool outside or on the sofa, whichever you want."

If I hadn't needed him alone to get answers, I probably would have just told him to go to the pool to begin with. As it were, I really needed to get out of the bathroom and get some fresh air. Being alone with a mer that was responsible for having your leg amputated really wasn't a pleasant experience.

Shaking my head, I got myself up using the edge of the tub, then grabbed my fake leg that Parker had evidently hidden next to the toilet, and strapped it on while leaning against the sink. By the time I had it completely secure, Lyric was out of the water, hesitant eyes watching me. I straightened up to meet his gaze, silently thankful that he hadn't tried to move past me while I wasn't paying attention.

"Let's go," I said, turning to open the door and head outside. I could hear his bare feet padding quietly after me on the hardwood floor, telling me that he was at least listening. We walked through the living room, which was now empty, then out to the patio. I was just pointing to the pool to tell Lyric to go in and get some rest when my eyes lowered slightly at the sound of a bubbling hiss.

Of course.

"Mellac, what are you doing in there?" I asked, eyeing the dolphin mer wearily. Instead of answering me, he just blew more bubbles, making me roll my eyes.

"Are you pissed that Jayson won't let you do him?"

He narrowed his eyes and grunted, the sound causing more bubbles in the water since he was under almost up to his eyes.

"Either way, Lyric needs the water so don't mess with him, okay?"

Another grunt, then Mellac dove beneath the surface with a splash.