Before The Storm

-Parker-

"Mellac? What are you doing in here?"

At first I thought the obvious—waiting for Jayson to walk in so he could ambush him into bed. However, when I saw the laptop on his naked lap, awkward, I realized something was up. His eyes flicked to mine for only a brief second before he shrugged, completely ignoring my question.

Fine then.

Stalking over to him, I sat down on the bed with the intent to look at the screen, but suddenly he was standing up, striding over to the other side of the room with the laptop in his hands.

"Seriously? Are you watching porn or something?"

I growled, knowing full-well that Mellac didn't know how to use a laptop. I think. Oh man. Note to self to never tell him about internet porn.

I was ignored again so I stomped around the bed, but he just jumped up onto it and hopped to the other side.

Jayson! Your merfriend is a freaking pain! I shouted mentally as I began to run to the other side. Of course Mellac just dodged again, and again, and again. I ended up panting, leaning on the bed to try to catch my breath as Mellac stood near the headboard, his eyes glancing over the top of the screen.

"You are not very fit, human."

Sorry, I don't have sex twenty-four seven! That's probably where the idiot gets all of his muscles.

"Why can't you let me see what you're looking at? I know you didn't set it up yourself, so tell me."

"No," he replied with indifference before looking back down at the screen. Frustration bubbled in my veins, but I forced myself to calm down. There was no way I'd get it away from him so there was no use losing my temper over it. After several deep breaths, I closed my eyes, then opened them with a sigh.

"Am I going to find out that Oliver and Ocar are gone when I go into the living room? And then are you going to finally tell me that you're likely watching the tracking system of one of Oliver's chips because the guy's insane?"

His brows rose slightly, and I knew he was smirking behind the screen.

"Perhaps" was his only response before he sat down on one of the too many pillows on the bed. I was just about to try to get over there to look when he spoke again. "He said you don't get to see until the dot stops moving. So go be a good human elsewhere until I request your presence."

Be a...

"Parker?"

Hearing a quiet voice behind me immediately dissipated my anger toward Mellac as I turned around and knelt. Kipper was there, pursing his lips as he stared at the floor. After a moment, he glanced over his shoulder before turning back to face me again.

"Callem is 'noying."

"Oh?" I said, figuring that he was talking about the mer's overly affectionate grooming and what not.

I can see how that could get annoying.

I was just opening my mouth to tell him that he could just hang out with me in the living room or go for a swim in the pool when he walked right past me and climbed up onto the bed near Mellac. He stared at the much bigger mer for several long moments before Mellac bothered to actually pay him any attention. When he did, it was just a quick look and a grunt.

"You probably don't want to bother Mellac, Kipper." He might eat you.

The boy looked at me, then back up at the bigger mer, drawing Mellac's attention again.