Chapter 2

David Jones never fell asleep, but rather just kept calm and relaxed while keeping his ears open for any sound out of the ordinary. It was a habit he picked up while watching witnesses in safe houses that often fooled the bad guys into trying something assuming he was out like a light. This time when the door creaked, Jones sat up and instinctively put a hand on his gun, ready to draw. The nurse coming in to check up on his brother's was startled by the sight, especially considering the patient was a gunshot victim. She looked at him, frozen in one spot, afraid to move.

     "Who are you?" she whispered.

     "US Marshal," Jones said, showing her his badge.

     "What are you doing here?" the nurse asked, confused.

     "This is my brother," Jones replied, relaxing back into the chair. "I didn't mean to startle you, that move was force of habit."

     "That's alright," the nurse said as she walked in to start checking on his brother, "Just glad to hear you're one of the good guys."

     "That I am," Jones confirmed, as he slouched back into the chair.

     It was at this point there was a soft knock on the door. Jones looked over to see that his boss, the director of his bureau was there at the glass and gesturing to leave the room to speak with him. Jones hopped up immediately and turned to the nurse who was working on his brother.

     "Excuse me," he told her, "I'll be just outside."

     "Okay," The nurse said, not even looking back.

     Jones left the room and was greeted by his boss who was holding two cups of coffee from a shop down the street.

     "How is he doing?" the boss asked.

     "He's still out, but he's stable." Jones replied, taking one of the cups from him. "Thank you."

     "No problem," the director said as he looked in the window. "If he's stable, then he should pull through."

     "I agree," Jones concurred, "He's tough too... runs in the family."

     "If he's half as tough as you," the director commented, "He'll be walking out the damn door tomorrow."

     "Fair enough," Jones said, looking back at his boss. "Am I going to get flack from Grace for you sneaking out on the holiday feast? You just wanted an excuse to bail didn't ya?"

     "You have to admit this is a good one," the director noted, "It's not like anyone else was going to check up on you."

     "Ouch," Jones said, "Don't hold back there, boss... tell me how your really feel about the situation."

     "And I was using it as an excuse to bail," the director added, "But I'd rather stay home if it meant your brother not being shot."

     "I appreciate that," Jones said, taking another sip. "I also appreciate the visit. Tell Grace that I'm very sorry about that, but it was helpful."

     "I'm gonna check in on the office," his boss informed him, "I'll update them on your brother."

     "Thanks again," Jones said, "I'm gonna go hang with my bro."

     "No problem," the director said, patting his shoulder, "I've given you three days off. If you need more, just let me know."

     "Thanks, Boss." Jones said as he opened the door wand walked back into the room. The nurse was just finishing up so it was perfect timing.