Chapter 12

The reception went without incident, and just to be generous David left an envelope with a few hundred bucks but didn't sign it. He still had plenty left to handle his own expenses, but Harv wouldn't dream of him paying a dime. Turns out Harv had used time travel to pick up some riches as well, as it appeared that each generation found a way to use the portal to remain above board. David didn't take offense and let the old man spoil his grandkid. After David's room was booked, Harv insisted on taking him to a bar for a drink just to hang out and shoot the shit as he so eloquently put it. It felt weird hitting the bar later in the night, but the more David hung around with Harv the more he liked the old man.

     "So... you're a cop?" Harv asked, fishing for details.

     "Worse," David said, taking a sip of his beer, "I'm a fed."

     "Jesus," Harv cussed, as if he couldn't believe it. "Which agency?"

     "The oldest one," David said, "Formed by George Washington himself when he signed the Judiciary Act of 1789."

     Harv paused for a moment, trying to think of it.

     "Wyatt Earp was one too." David said, giving the old man a hint.

     "You're a marshal?" Harv said, amused by it.

     "Living the dream," David said, with thick sarcasm. "The dream is never as glorious as advertised in your childhood, but I still find it quite satisfying."

     "You're still on active duty?" Harv asked.

     "I'm on personal leave," David explained, "Using my time to explore this really interesting cave."

     "I never judge anyone who chooses their own pursuits over the Portal," Have said, "But sometimes you're lucky enough to do both."

     "Like you said, one helps the other." David said as he leaned over. "Don't look but there's a man in a black suit at the bar. I saw him a few times today. He's probably following you because there's no way he would have been aware of me before today."

     "We've sometimes draw some attention," Harv said, not even bothering to look. "I'm not sure who they work for but they're no doubt trying to find out how we can travel through time. They've only become more prevalent in the last few years."

     "They're just as active in the future," David added, "They've been hassling my brother and they even shot him."

     "Is he alright?" Harv asked.

     "He'll be fine," David answered, "But we might as well find out."

     "I'm listening," Harv said as his curiosity was peaking.

     It was twenty minutes later when both men stumbled out of the bar, exaggerating how drunk they were. It was at this point where the man in the suit David thought was tailing them left the bar and followed the two of them into an alley. The man in black walked as close as he could without drawing the attention of the two drunken men. This is when Harv pretended to barf, making loud sounds and staying on his knees as he pretended to puke behind the garbage cans. The man following them kept his distance, and was about to use a radio to call someone, but didn't as something else had happened. The barrel of a gun was pressed to the back of his head and the man in the suit had no idea it was there until he could hear the hammer cock right behind him.

     "Let me see your hands," David said, with a tone that meant business.

     "You can't do this," the man said as he still raised his hands.