Chapter Four-Suspicion

Marta and Jennifer left the house to get some air; Jen hated parties with a passion, because she was terrified of crowds. Marta, however, just needed some fresh air. She exhaled deeply, while the writer searched the shadows. Someone was there. Her eyes landed on Detective Benoit Blanc, who was sitting in a wicker chair in the dark, smoking a cigar. Beside her, Marta jumped at the sight of him.

"Wah ha. Detective. You're still here?" Marta asked. Jennifer watched him carefully.

"Mm." Blanc responded thoughtfully, staring at both of them. Marta shifted under his gaze, while Jen made direct eye contact.

"Did you know Harlan?" the writer asked boldly.

"He knew my father who was a police detective. Years ago. My father respected Harlan. That says quite a lot."

"So, that's why you're here?" Marta butted in.

"Here now here? No. I stayed hoping to speak to you a little more. Both of you." Blanc responded.

"Uh?"

"Something is afoot with this whole affair. I know it, and I believe you two know it."

"So you're..... going to keep digging." Marta stated aloud, disappointed. Jen placed a hand on her shoulder and made fierce eye contact, passing a silent message over to her older sister; this is a good thing. It didn't go unnoticed by Blanc.

"Harlan's detectives they dig, they rifle and root, truffle pigs. I anticipate the terminus of gravity's rainbow."

"Gravity's Rainbow."

"Oh, I love that!" Jen exclaimed suddenly.

"It's a novel." Blanc stated, nodding to the writer.

"I know. I haven't read it." Marta admitted. Jen looked disappointed.

"Neither have I. Nobody has, except for Jen. But I like the title. It describes the path of a projectile, determined by natural law. Voila, my method. I observe the facts without biases of the head or heart, I determine the arc's path, stroll leisurely to its terminus, and the truth falls at my feet. The medical examiner was ready to rule this a suicide, but Elliott agreed to keep it pending for forty eight hours. Tomorrow morning I search the grounds and the house, begin my investigation. I want you both to be by my side for it. My confidants, my eyes and ears."

"What but - why us?" the nurse spluttered.

"I trust your kind hearts. Also you are the only ones who had nothing to gain from Harlan's death. So. Watson." He put out his cigar and stood.

"You want my insight into this family? None of them are murderers," Jen scoffed at her sister's words, and she sent her a glare. "That's my insight."

"And yet. Be it cruel or comforting, this machine unerringly arrives at the truth. That's what it does." Blanc continued.

"Always?" Jen asked hopefully. The detective bowed.

"Tomorrow at eight." The sisters watched him leave.

Marta sat down next to her mum on the sofa, while Jen watched them from the door. She watched her zone out while watching the television, poised to aid her if she felt dizzy again. And yet, in her heart, she knew that her older sister didn't need to rely on her much anymore. It pained the young writer to admit it to herself, but she felt it was inevitable. Eventually, her sister stirred and placed a hand on their mother's knee.