Chapter Seven-The Storyteller

When she came to, Jennifer felt a hard mattress pressing against her back, and knew she was still alive. She tried opening her eyes, but was almost blinded by an onslaught of fluorescent light. 

"Can someone please turn the lights off? I want to be able to gaze at Jacob from afar for the rest of my life, thank you very much."

"Jen!" the writer felt herself drawn into a hug, and recognised Marta's voice. "I thought you were dead!"

"You left me again," the young girl told her reproachfully, still with her eyes shut tight. "You promised you wouldn't after the night Harlan died." Her sister released her with a sad sigh.

"I'm so sorry, Jen."

"I'm afraid we can't turn out the lights. You're in the hospital." another familiar voice floated out of nowhere. So Blanc was there as well. And she was in the hospital?

"What?!" she screeched, her eyes snapping open and immediately closing again due to the light. She was in the hospital. Oh, how she hated hospitals. There was just something about excessive bleeding that terrified her. She made an effort to calm herself, and slowly opened her eyes so that they could adjust. "How serious is it?"

"Serious enough that you had to get a donor. You lost a lot of blood through your cuts." Blanc replied calmly, and Jen winced at the image.

"How long was I out?"

"A day. You slept so deeply, we thought you were dead." Marta cut in.

"Best sleep I've had in ages," Jennifer joked wryly. "I hope I haven't missed anything in the case?"

"We were just about to leave to see the Thrombeys," Blanc informed her helpfully. "You should rest."

"We all know that's not happening." Jen responded, and clambered out of her bed. "Now, let's go and catch a killer."

"Ah. Okay, has she come to her senses?" was the first thing Richard said to Blanc when the three of them arrived at the Thrombey household. He was referring to Marta.

"Lovely to see you too, Rich." Jennifer retorted sardonically. Richard glared at her, but she seemed unconcerned.

"Yes, she's standing right there, Richard, she can speak for herself-" Walt decided to ignore the writer's comment.

"Is the rest of the family here?" Blanc interrupted sharply.

"In the living room." Walt told him. 

"I think maybe, if we could..." Blanc didn't finish his sentence, but beckoned to Marta and Jen. Walt and Richard filed out, while Meg stayed behind to hug Marta.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry I told them about your mom. I was angry and scared, I'm sorry." Jennifer scoffed quietly, convinced that Meg was lying.

"It's ok, Meg. I understand. Believe me. It's alright." Marta replied soothingly, giving her younger sister a warning look. The writer rolled her eyes.

"God, I am so raiding Fran's stash after this." Meg stated aloud, and wandered off to the living room. Blanc walked back to them.

"I still think this is a bad idea, but the family is assembled."

"The Avengers assemble." Jennifer murmured and snickered quietly to herself. Silence. "Don't you think Ransom looks like Captain America though? The resemblance is uncanny." More silence.