Chapter Eight-I Love You Too

"Can I ask? At what point did you suspect I had something to do with Harlan's death?" Marta questioned Blanc.

"From the moment you first set foot in front of me." the detective replied, nodding at her shoe. There was the tiny, faded, red spot of blood that Jennifer had noticed.

"Ah, so I did the right thing not pointing that out." The author commented calmly, her hand once again wrapped tightly around Jacob's.

"Oh my god." Marta stated aloud, referring to the blood.

"I want you to remember something very important: you won, not by playing the game Harlan's way, but yours." He turned to Jennifer and Jacob. "And Jen, Jacob, the two of you won by playing the game in a way no one's ever seen before. You sniffed out every secret in this household, thereby putting yourselves in danger. But you also coupled that with the Nazi Child/Damsel in Distress act, until even Ransom believed that you weren't a true threat." Marta glanced at the rest of the family outside the window.

"I should help them. Right?" she asked Blanc.

"If you want my opinion, then no." Jacob spoke up hesitantly. Blanc grinned.

"I have my own opinion. But I have a feeling you'll follow your heart." He winked at Jennifer, jerking his head towards Jacob, and strolled away.

Marta, Jacob and Jennifer stood on the threshold together, watching Blanc getting into the first police car, Ransom in the backseat. As they drove away, the Thrombey family turned to see them standing very small, but somehow not, in the doorway of the Cabrera household. Jacob nudged Jennifer with his elbow and pulled her into a side hug.

"Hey. I love you too."