Chapter 3: Back from the Future

I bounced my leg up and down as my eyes darted to all the faces in the room. None of us had been together in 13 years, and to be back in this exact place... it tore at a lot of poorly concealed wounds. Every now and then, I could hear the clatter of bottles being set down as Klaus whipped himself up some sort of overwhelmingly alcoholic drink, and Allison's ice cubes clinked every now and then.

"Um... I guess we should get this thing started," Luther finally said. "So, I figured we should have a sort of memorial service in the courtyard at sundown." My eyes widened. Sundown was too late, I needed to be back to perform in a few hours. "Say a few words, just at Dad's favorite spot."

"Dad had a favorite spot?" Unless he meant the desk he always sat at, I didn't know any other place.

"You know, under the oak tree. We used to sit out there all the time. None of you ever that?" We all shook our heads, completely confused.

"Will there be refreshments?" Klaus asked as he crossed the room, taking a seat next to me. I offered him a quick smile as the cushions made him bounce. "Tea? Scones? Cucumber sandwiches are always a winner."

"What? No. And put that out," Luther ordered. "Dad didn't allow smoking in here." Allison's eyes darted to her brother, and her brow furrowed.

"Is that my skirt?"

"What?" He looked down at the flowing, grey article of clothing. "Oh, yeah, this. I found it in your room. It's a little dated, I know, but it's very breathey on the bits." A couple of us chuckled, but as usual, Luther didn't want to have to deal with his brother's shit.

"Listen up. Still some important things that we need to discuss, all right?"

"Like what?" Diego sighed. Clearly, they'd already had some sort of conversation before.

"Like the way Dad died." I shook my head, allowing it to fall slightly.

"Oh, here we go," Diego muttered.

"I don't understand," I spoke up. "I thought they said it was a heart attack."

"Yeah, according to the coroner."

"Well, wouldn't they know?"

"Theoretically."

"Theoretically?" I was starting to get tired of this. He needed to just get to the point, or deal with it at a later time-- preferably when I'm not here

"I'm just saying, at the very least, something happened. The last time I talked to Dad, he sounded strange."

"Oh, quelle suprise!" Klaus spoke with liquid in his mouth, causing each of his words to come out gurgled.

"Strange how?" Allison asked, trying to get us back on track. Of course she'd pity Luther.

"He sounded on edge. Told me I should be careful who to trust."

"Luther, he was a paranoid, bitter old man who was starting to lose what was left of his marbles." Diego got up from his chair, crossing the room to stand closer to his brother, as though he could intimidate the large man.

"No. He must have known something was going to happen." He turned his attention to Klaus, who was surviving this conversation by switching between smoking his cigarette and taking a drink. "Look, I know you don't like to do it, but I need you to talk to Dad."

I scoffed, shaking my head at how brash Luther was being. Klaus couldn't just do that; it took too much out of him.

"I can't just call Dad in the afterlife and be like, 'Dad, could you just... stop playing tennis with Hitler for a moment and take a quick call?'" I found I was the only one laughing, but I didn't care. Klaus' sense of humor made this awkward moment feel a little better.