Chapter 25: Twin Bonding

"Hey, Five?" He hummed in acknowledgement as he reached into the back, removing the canvas bag he used to carry Delores with. "What exactly are we doing back at Gimbel Brothers?"

"I have something important to do." I snickered a little as he opened the car door.

"What, you here to get the rest of Delores' friends?" His glare immediately silenced me. "Sorry, that's... actually not funny.

I followed Five into the department store, a strange feeling settling in my stomach. I had never seen this place in the daytime, full of life and bargain-hunting customers. Mothers pushed their slumbering babies in strollers as they looked through pairs of jeans, some teenagers darted in and out through the clothing racks, and children lingered behind their mothers, staring up at all of the glittering gowns and sharp suits. Workers moved around and asked if any customers needed their assistance. The world inside had moved on from the attacks that damaged the store, acting as though nothing had even happened in the first place. There were still bullet holes in walls and signs, but no one paid them any mind.

I hung back a little, leaning against one of the racks, as Five approached the stand where he had first found Delores. I suddenly understood, very clearly, what he was about to do as he removed the bag from his back and unzipped it, revealing the top half of his beloved mannequin. He needed his space for this sort of thing, but that wasn't to say I wouldn't watch as he did this.

Carefully, he set the battered and burnt Delores back where she had been found, much shorter now since her legs had gone missing.

"Hey," Five muttered before looking down at his feet, unable to find the right words. Strangely, I found my breath hitching in my throat, causing one hand to fly to my chest. "I bet it feels good to be back... amongst your friends." My eyes briefly flashed to the other mannequins. "And it's okay, you can... say it. We always were an unlikely pair. This isn't easy for me, Delores, and I..." My heart broke as Five's voice warbled slightly. "I want you to know I cherish every single moment I ever shared with you, all 23 and a half million of them. A lifetime. Now look at us. We're lucky enough, we get a second one." He paused for a moment, as though hearing her speak in his mind. "Yeah," he laughed. "You are right. I do have a lot of growing up to do. I'll never forget you, Delores."

I found myself wiping away a few tears as Five turned and picked up the now empty bag. Sure, she was nothing but painted plastic, but Five had relied on her for so long. She had been his crutch, the thing that kept him company after the rest of us had passed. To our siblings, and myself, she was just this inanimate object Five carried around, further supporting the fact he may have lost his mind. But she meant something to him. Even if he understood she couldn't possibly be alive and offer him affection, he chose to stick with her. Giving her up looked as though it took everything in him, and after taking a step back, I understood why.

"Come here," I muttered as he turned around to look up at me, eyes shimmering with the threat of tears.

Normally, I'd get some sort of scoff or snarky comment from him, pretending he was too grown up to run to his sister for support. But after such a vulnerable nerve had been struck, the wall of arrogance fell away, and he attached himself to my side like Velcro. Walking with an extra set of legs proved to be a bit of a challenge at first, but we quickly fell into a rhythm of ease. Just before we left the store, an idea popped into my head, and I turned to a worker in a bright yellow vest sorting some of the women's sweaters.

"Excuse me, miss?" She turned to me with a bright customer-service smile.

"Yes?"

"Could you give that mannequin something new to wear?" I glanced down at my brother, a smile slowly growing on his face as we met eyes.

"She likes sequins."