Chapter 13: Four on the Lapel

I rushed up the stairs, darting my head around each corner. I'd searched the entire house, but I couldn't find Klaus anywhere. Thanks to Detective Patch-- may she rest in peace-- he had come home while we were out keeping an eye on Five. I wanted to check on him and apologize for not knowing that he had been gone. And I felt like I could talk to him about all of this.

I heard voices as I reached his doorway, and I pressed myself against the wall, trying to listen.

"Don't remember the dog tags," Five observed.

"Yeah, they belonged to a friend." Something about Klaus' voice sounded different, more somber and serious. He'd lost that eccentric lilt.

"How about that new tattoo?"

"You know, I don't totally remember getting it." Now that sounded like Klaus. I could hear footsteps as Five went further into his brother's room. "Like I said, it was a long night."

"You did it, didn't you?"

"What are you talking about?" Klaus didn't sound the least bit convincing. I didn't have to look at his face to know he was anything but confused.

"You know, I can recognize the symptoms, Klaus."

"Symptoms of what?"

"The jet lag. The full body itch. Headache that feels like someone shoved a box of cotton up into your nose and through your brain. You gonna tell me about it?" I still couldn't figure out what they were talking about.

"Your pals, when they broke into the house and they couldn't find you, they took me hostage instead."

My heart sank as I stood there listening to Klaus. I hadn't wanted it to be true, he didn't deserve that. But here I stood, hearing the confirmation of what he had suffered.

"And in return, you stole their briefcase." Five made it sound like some heroic act, but knowing Klaus, it wasn't out of revenge.

"Yeah, I thought there was money in it, or I could pawn it, you know, whatever. And then I opened it."

"And the next thing you knew, you were... where? Or should I say when?"

"What difference does it make?"

"What diff-- uh--" I could tell Five was getting frustrated, but strangely enough, he didn't go into his usual ranting barrage. "Okay, how long were you gone?"

"Almost a year." My eyes went wide in disbelief. He'd been gone nearly a year, yet he came back to this exact time? Time travel really was a bitch...

"A year? Do you know what this means?" Klaus scoffed.

"Yeah, I'm ten months older now."

"No, this isn't any sort of joke, Klaus. Hazel and Cha-Cha will do whatever they can to get the briefcase. Where is it now?"

"Gone. I destroyed it. Poof."

"What the hell were you thinking?" Five demanded.

"What do you care?"

"What do I care? I needed it, you moron, so I could get back. I could start over."

My curiosity immediately melted into anger. Five always left out some detail, and although it didn't surprise me that this was it, it still severely pissed me off.

"Just... just..." I hear Klaus moving toward the doorway.

"Where are you going?" I stepped to the side, placing myself in the doorway.