Chapter 29: Apocalypse Suite

Out of the corner of my eye, I spotted Luther and Diego, scrambling to get to a safe place. Vanya's body began to take on an eerie, white glow, almost as though she were building up energy the longer she played. I tried my best to push through the last of the people, attempting to get a little closer to Allison, when Vanya suddenly swung her bow out, causing another wave of energy to fly out. All of us ducked down just in time, barely missing getting our heads cut off by whatever that was. The glow she had taken on faded away, as though she's lost the charge she'd been building up. It almost reminded me of how my lightning worked, but something told me if she hit me, I'd get discharged. Fingers of lightning still danced down my arms just waiting to be released from their confines. But now wasn't the time.

I crouched down behind some seats, directly across from Allison and only a few rows away from Diego and Luther. I could hear their mumblings, despite how much the orchestra's music now swelled.

"She's stronger than expected," Diego gasped out between breaths.

"Yeah."

I stuck my hand out, using a little of my powers to give Luther and Diego tiny shocks. They cried out and glared at me, as though I'd hurt them far more than I actually did. Their eyes met mine, and both of them shrugged their shoulders, as though they hadn't done anything wrong. I looked to Allison, who rolled her eyes as well, and the two boys' jaws fell a little.

"Yeah, we're fine. Thanks for asking."

"You two are the biggest idiots I've ever known," I hissed. "Did you really think running at her wouldn't piss her off? That's probably the worst plan any of us have ever had." Rather than addressing me, Luther looked to Allison.

"Look, I almost lost you once, all right? I wasn't about to lose you again."

"Luther, that's touching and all, but now is not the time!" I shook my head, lowering it down slightly to look at my hands.

"Well, so much for the element of surprise," Diego sighed. "What else you got?"

Thankfully, I still had enough of a charge to maybe surprise her and at least stun her for a few seconds, if she didn't figure out what I was trying to do beforehand. But that really wouldn't do us much good, she'd likely get up and just start trying to attack us again.

The white glow that encapsulated her had grown stronger the longer we'd allowed her to play her violin. It was almost as though...

It dawned on me just as Allison made a gesture like she was playing the violin. We were both, for once, completely on the same page.

"Yeah, no shit, Allison. Tell us something we don't already know," Diego deadpanned.

"She's talking about the violin," I explained as everyone turned to look up at Vanya. "It's her lightning rod. If we can take it from her and stop her from playing, we might have a shot."

My hands flew over my head as a flurry of bullets suddenly came flying toward us, creating a cacophony among the otherwise beautiful music. Those guys in the masks had caught up to us, and from the looks of the way they were firing, they had absolutely no intention of trying to stop Vanya. Thankfully, she didn't try to stop the rest of her orchestra from fleeing this time, meaning they would hopefully be allowed to get to safety.

"What the hell happened to Klaus? He was supposed to be on lookout!"

"Yeah, are you surprised?"

"This is what happens when you give him a job a child could do," I scolded. "Of all our siblings, you underestimate him the most. Of course he's not going to pay attention, he's hurt!"