Orange M&Ms and Pretzels - Part 1

"There should be machines that fill out paperwork," muttered Reese, tapping the backspace key with a vengeance. His desk was cluttered with pieces of a bulky 15 number combination lock he had salvaged. Polished chrome discs were laid out around the ornate dial like planets around a sun, the levers latches scattered like random comets or small moons. He longed to realign the inner discs and dials, but he had real, and in his opinion, redundant, work to do.

"That and flying cars," muttered Beni at her desk, typing away like a breeze.

"How would you jack a flying car?"

"I'd find a very tall tree and climb it."

"I bet you would." Reese glared at his screen and the blinking line on the blank document. After Louis' ability, shrinking when exposed to strong light, had been found out by Watch One, the whole team had to write an "accurate" set of reports. It started with Louis and Will, then Cetz, Rachel and Massaru. And now it was down to Reese and his partner Beni. Like there weren't more important things to do. He was in the middle of rewriting his version of the Luvor Mission. And it sucked. Writing reports first thing in the morning was torture. Especially about... that.

"Good morning," chimed Will as he came towards the desks. He held a stethoscope in one hand. "And here you go."

Reese smiled, taking back his backup stethoscope and getting its case out of his desk. "I'd wondered when I'd get that one back. Did you clean the earpieces?"

"Yes I did."

"God forbid you get a speck of dirt on those things," muttered Beni.

Reese stuck out his tongue at her. Amongst the polished discs sat a maple glazed donut, blanketed in a double layer of paper napkins. Reese picked it up and offered it to Will. "Here, I saved one from the box this morning when you didn't come in."

"Um..." Will bit his bottom lip. "Could you keep it for another hour?"

"I... oh." Reese noticed the sensor band on Will's arm and the SkySprecht in his ear. "Today is test day."

Will nodded with a sigh, one hand going over his stomach. Reese peeled his eyes off Will's middle. He couldn't help but remember what it felt like.

"I'll keep it for you," replied Reese, trying to keep upbeat. "But if you're not here in an hour, it walks the plank."

Will nodded, and then crimped his mouth shut, trying not to laugh.

Reese's eyebrows drew close. "What did Louis say?"

"I really shouldn't," said Will, his eyes crinkling in mirth.

"Yes, yes, you should," prompted Beni eagerly.

Will sighed. "Let's just say it involves small pirate booties."

"Arr." Reese waved Will away. "Go away; we'll see you in an hour."

Will turned and started walking towards the Main Tech exit.

"Arrogant blond," muttered Reese under his breath.

"He heard that," called Will over his shoulder.

"Good!" The redhead stared back at the computer screen, the heel of his hand pressing into his gut.

Beni tossed a paper football at him. "What's wrong with you?"

Reese flicked it back, missing her pencil cup. "It's just a little unnerving knowing Louis is... there."

"I'd have thought you'd be more cool with it."