Chapter 2

The two of us walked in silence with the child's pod floating behind us. I wanted nothing to do with this bounty anymore but I still needed a way off this planet. Thankfully the Mandalorian hadn't questioned me about continuing to follow him yet.

Instinct told me that we were being watched. Apparently he felt it too because we stopped simultaneously and looked around. I reached for my blaster as a Trandoshan leapt out at us. It swung its weapon down at the Mandalorian who got his blaster knocked out of his hand.
(A/N: I have no idea if this is actually the name of the species of the things that attacked him in the show but this is the name I found on Wikipedia of what looked like those guys. Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

I spotted a tracking fob and pushed the pod away from us. The Mandalorian picked up his blaster and the Trandoshan swung again and again while he dodged. I stood there for a moment unsure of how to help. This gave two more Trandoshans the opening to attack. They were too close for me to use my blaster and I was not going to use my other weapon in front of the Mandalorian so I decided to go hand to hand. I dodged their swings and deflected their axes with an undetectable amount of my powers. Unfortunately, I misjudged the distance of one swing and one of the Trandoshans cut into my leg.

The Mandalorian unstrapped the weapon from his back and swung back at their axes and shocked one of them. I managed to disarm another and slammed its skull into my knee. Both crumpled to the ground. The third remaining Trandoshan had ran to the pod but before it could reach the Mandalorian shot it, instantly vaporizing it.

After the fighting was over I knelt down and picked up their tracking fob. This was proof that there were other Bounty Hunters on this case and they would be coming after us. I crushed it in my hand and threw it on the ground.

The two of us now sat in an awkward silence as the sun began to set. The Mandalorian made repairs to his armor while I patched up the wound on my leg. I could have done it faster with my powers but I wouldn't use them in front of him. The child's pod hovered a few feet away.

"Why are you still following me if you're not going to accept the bounty?" he finally asked breaking the silence.

"I need off this damn planet," I told him.

"Go back to your own ship."

I hesitated, pride making it difficult to get the words out, "I... don't have one," I mumbled.

"What?"

"I don't have a ship," I repeated louder.

He paused his repairs and turned to look at me, "You accepted a bounty when you don't have a ship?"

I glared at him even though he couldn't see it, "I had a ship... My crew overthrew me and marooned me on this planet. You're my way only off."

"That's not my problem."

I sighed and reached for one of my pockets. I figured it would result like this when he found out. I pulled out the Beskar bar and held it up for him to see.

"Where did you get that?"

"Same place you did. He called it a 'down payment.' I'm not Mandalorian so it's just a bargaining chip. You want it, you get me off this planet."

He took the bar out of my hand and went back to his repairs. I took that as a yes and laid down to watch the stars come out. After a while of nothingness I felt a jolt run through me like I'd been shocked. I sat bolt upright and looked around wildly for the source. In a second my blaster was out of my pocket catching the man next to me off guard in the process.

My eyes landed on the child. He looked up at where my eyes should be and gave me a wide smile. At some point he had climbed out of the pod and walked over to us. One of his tiny hands rested on my leg. He caused the sensation.

As I looked back into his eyes I felt this weird sense of familiarity. I had felt this before. But why was this child causing it? The only other person that I had felt this kind of connection with was my father and that was a long time ago.

"What? What happened?" the Mandalorian asked glancing around the area, raising his own blaster.

I turned my gaze to him and put my blaster away. I picked up the child and put him back in the pod, "Change of plans. I'm going with you."

"What? You said you wanted nothing to do with this bounty."

"Yeah, I know what I said," I snapped, growing impatient, "But I changed my mind. Wherever this kid goes, I'm going too."

"No, I'll drop you off on the next inhabitable planet."

"No. I'm going with you and that is final," I had never been more tempted to use my powers on someone in my life. If he didn't let me I really was going to force him to let me.

"What brought on this sudden change of heart?" he asked. The change in his tone surprised me. Briefly I wondered if I actually had used my powers on him without realizing it.

I hesitated, "I can't explain it but... this kid... he's connected to me somehow... I just know that he's important. Wherever he goes, I go."

He must have realized I was not going to give up and remained quiet for a few moments, "If you can make yourself useful, you can join my crew."

I relaxed a little, "I can fill your mechanic slot." Even through his helmet I could tell he was giving me a skeptical look, "What, you think I can't be a mechanic? I'll have you know that before I was overthrown, I doubled as ship captain and mechanic. I knew my ship like the back of my hand and I always knew when something was wrong just by looking at it."

He sighed and held out his hand, "Don't make me regret this."

I shook it, "Trust me, Mando, your ship will be the second best in the galaxy when I'm done with it."

"Don't call me that."

"Give me a name and I'll call you that but I'm not going to keep referring to you as 'the Mandalorian.'"

He remained silent. I raised my hand to my ear hesitantly. I knew probably shouldn't show him my face yet but a gut instinct told me I could trust him. I tapped my earpiece and my mask melted back.

Mando POV
I wasn't as surprised about her mask as I was about her eyes. They weren't much to look at, being a simple (e/c) color and hard to see in the dim light but they seemed to pierce right through me as if she could see through my armor down to my soul. I swallowed a lump in my suddenly dry throat.

She smirked and turned her head so I could see the piece of metal behind her ear, "Like it? I designed it myself. It's genetic locked, so only people I've allowed can open it. Currently that's just me. Can't be removed by anyone else."

I remained silent but continued to watch her curiously. What was that sensation just now? It felt like she'd pinned me to the spot and forced the air out of my lungs.

"Back to the name thing, I'll show you mine if you show me yours," she gave a suggestive eyebrow wiggle.

I rolled my eyes, "I already know your name, (y/n) Bel."

She raised an eyebrow, "You've heard of me?"

"You've made a name for yourself. Stories circulate."

"Oh really?" she shrugged, "Well, if you ever get tired of me calling you 'Mando' just let me know."

I feel like we should come up with a better name. It feels weird constantly calling him "the child" and "the kid" all the time. Let me know if you have suggestions on a name.