Chapter 8:

Officer Hansen came through that door, followed by two others, one a male, and the other female.

I wished to punch both of them in the face, but Oliver's warm body sitting on me, arms wrapped tight around my neck prevented my wish form coming true, and instead I gave them the death glare.

"Oliver, you're parents are here" Officer Hansen says, and Oliver nuzzles his face into my neck, "I don't care, I wan't Aubrey" he says, his voice muffled by my neck.

"Come on son, stop playing around" the male voice speaks, my hate for the man only growing rapidly.

"He says he doesn't want to go, can't you tell there is something wrong?" Darry asks the officer, but she just crosses her arms impatiently, "I have a job to do, and you three are keeping me from doing it, let Oliver go, and let his parents take him" she says annoyed.

I whisper into his ear before he began to climb off my lap, "I'll get you back, I promise" I promise him, as I shake his hair with my hand.

He nods his head, and slowly turns toward the monsters he escaped from, and begins to walk toward the monsters who have captured him again, grabbing his bag which was in front of the desk.

I don't realize I'm crying till I feel my warm tears drop on my hand as I watch him get taken away from me as I sit in a stupid uncomfortable metal chair helpless, and in a slight second after that, he was gone.

***

The ride back was silent. 

Such a contrast from the last time I was in it.

I stared blankly at the road in front of me not saying anything. Not thinking about anything, just letting my mind stay blank so that I won't break.

When we finally arrived back to the Curtis house it was getting dark.

I slowly trudged out of the truck, slamming the door shut, and headed to the front door.

Darry and I both entered, and as soon as the door slammed shut, I was running around in my thoughts.

He's gone.

"Do you need anything?" Darry asks in a cautious caring tone, I didn't want to get mad at Darry, but I had so many emotions that I couldn't control what I was saying or doing, "you've done enough" I say through gritted teeth as I turn around to face him, my fists clenched, my nails digging into my palms.

He looked at me strangely, "you think that this was my fault?" he asks in disbelief, "it is!" I yell, my head pounding, "how was it my fault!" he exclaims harshly, his tone frightened me a bit, but there was too much adrenaline to back off. 

"If you wouldn't have followed us around, and let us be, we would out of this town, and I would still have Oliver!" I wail, "and left you to die!" he yells back at me, "I didn't need your help!" I say as my vision grows blurry from the tears swelling in my eyes.

"Well it looked like you did!" he screamed, raising his arms.

I gasp and quickly cover my head with my arms, the adrenaline instantly rushing out of me.

Through the crack in my arms, I saw Darry instantly lower his arms which I just realized were going behind his head to try and calm himself.

I was trembling, and Darry stared down at me wide eyed, "you were beaten were you?" he said as he took a step forward.

I backed away still a little uneasy, "is it that obvious?" I ask him as I finally regain my composure.

Darry made direct eye contact with me and never let it go, I tried to look away, but he would follow, "I'm going to give you a hug, so please don't spaz on me" he says as he takes a step toward me.

Before I could say anything I was being enveloped into a tight and warm embrace. I have never really been hugged before, besides the little ones that Oliver would give my legs and hips, but this was different, I felt comfortable, I felt safe, and part of me never wanted to leave this spot.

I take this time in Darry's muscular arms to clear my mind and calm my breathing because, for some odd reason, I felt protected in them, like nothing would ever get to me, including my own brutal thoughts.

"I'm sorry Darry" I apologize after I pull away from his big bear hug, "I know you are" he says, "I really do appreciate everything you have and are doing for me and Oliver" I tell him, "I know" he says as he looks me in the eye.

I give him a soft smile, "is it okay if I stay one more night?" I ask weary of his answer, "you can stay as long as you need" he says, returning the warm smile.

"Goodnight Darry" I say as I turn around to head to bed, I was exhausted, "goodnight Aubrey" he says as I walk away.

***

"Argh" I let out a frustrated groan as I yet again fail to get comfortable.

I sit up and look around the room, but could see nothing, but the little light coming from the window.

I get out of the bed and make my way to the closed door, and slowly open it, making sure that I don't wake anyone. 

I then walk to the kitchen to get a glass of water hoping that it would help, at least somewhat.

I fill the cup with water from the faucet and drink some before turning to sit on the couch.

I nearly screamed when I saw a figure sitting on the couch, but calmed myself realizing it was just Darry, and that he slept here.

He wasn't sleeping though, as I walk closer to him, the little light from the open window shown onto what he was holding in his hand, beer.

"Couldn't sleep either?" I ask and he nods his head.

I sit on the spot beside him, and take another sip of my water, letting the silence roam between us for a bit.

Darry turned his head from the blank spot he was staring at on the wall, "what's on your mind?" he asks, "sugar plums" I respond causing Darry to chuckle.

I take a deep breath so that my voice won't tremble, and speak up "Oliver, I wonder if he's ok" I tell Darry truthfully.

He takes a big breath and another sip of his beer before saying, "I can go file a complaint tomorrow, try to get him back" he says sincerely, and I shoot up in my spot.

"Really!" I ask a little too loud, and he nods his head, I quickly lean towards him and wrap my arms around him, accidentally knocking a bit of his beer on me.

"Opps I'm sorry" I say pulling away from his body.

He looks down at my chest, and then back at me with a slight pink to his cheeks. 

Confused I look down and see that the white shirt I was wearing was wet, causing my bra to show.

I quickly got up and walked away embarrassed and flustered.