07. flames blown over

Penny was awoken by heat. Unbearable heat.

Opening her eyes, she was shocked to see bright, red flames creeping in menacingly through the partially open door, inching closer to their beds.

Penny couldn't move, the smoke making her eyes water as she watched the flames near.

A scream caught her attention and she turned to see Dottie and Abbey standing on the furthest edge of their bed, holding each other tightly.

Ruby had woken with a start as well and quickly scrambled backwards, sweat accumulated around her hairline.

"Fire.... Fire!," Abbey screamed, calling Penny's body into action.

Grabbing Ruby's hand, she pulled the girl to her feet, "Ruby! Get your sisters!"

Ruby raced over to the far corner and grabbed Abbey and Dottie who had begun crying while Penny ran to the dresser to pull out any material she could, pulling her own sweater off and placing it over her mouth and nose to prevent inhalation of smoke.

Handing Ruby and the other girls cloth, they covered their own faces as well.

Commotion could be heard outside as she heard the neighbors hollering and the fire bell begin ringing.

Penny moved to the doorway, ignoring the sizzle of her flesh against the handle as she yanked the door the rest of the way open. Penny waved the others through.

Ruby was able to drag her sisters through the door but as Penny moved to follow a blast of heat blew her harshly back as the fire accelerated rapidly.

"Penny!" Ruby cried out, her voice thick with tears, the girl tried helplessly to re-enter the room in hopes of reaching her friend but was unable to get through the flames that had engulfed the doorway.

Penny was only able to look vaguely in Ruby's direction from prone position on the floor.

"I'll go get help! Please hold on!"

Penny could hear a sob and then their feet thundering down the steps.

Penny opened her eyes briefly but instantly regretted it as she saw the flames soar upwards around her. Her sweater had been torn from her grasp and Penny couldn't see far enough through the smoke to find something else to cover her mouth with. Coughs wracking her body as the smoke entered her lungs.

She could hear screams echoing from outside, and she heard Ruby's voice amongst them, crying hysterically as she also heard Mrs. Gillis' voice calling out.

"Penelope's still in there!"

The cries got louder as this news was made known, and Penny could distantly hear calls for ladders and buckets of water.

Her skin began to hurt as the fire crept closer, one flame licking at her leg causing her to gasp and pull it tightly against her body in fetal position. Penny did all she could to pull herself to the only window in a last attempt at get out but she barely made it two feet before collapsing to the ground again.

I never thought a house fire would be my demise in the end. I always assumed I'd be beaten to death before that happened. I suppose a fire isn't a bad way to go, at least the flames are beautiful, almost like a flower.

You can't even save yourself properly. You're weak.

I am weak, and maybe now I can be free too.

Penny relaxed her body on the wooden floor, staring up at the smoky air above her.

But just as she'd accepted her fate, a faint cracking of glass echoed in the room. Suddenly, there was a massive shatter as the window above her exploded into pieces.