17. work is scarce

That next morning, both Cuthbert women, Marilla and Anne, with the added addition of Penelope Sullivan loaded themselves into the sleigh and made their way into town.

The moment they stopped and tied up the horse, Marilla was quick to speak up.

"Alright, off to the bank," The older woman stated, looking to the larger building in front of her.

"I've actually got a quick errand to run," Penny piped up, "Shouldn't be long. I'll meet right back here,"

"Be careful," Marilla gave a small nod before placing her hand on Anne's shoulder.

Penny let her head bounce once in a nod before turning away to walk quickly across the street.

The town of Avonlea was quite small. Consisting mainly of farmland. Despite this, it had a few stores centralized in the middle of the acreage that was Avonlea. A quaint general store sat next to the butchers. Across the street was the bank, and on the other side of that was the blacksmith. Beyond that was the final store in the line and Penny's destination.

Campbell Bakery.

Penny had known the owners, the elderly Mr. George Campbell and his wife Ethel, for quite some time. She had vague memories of going to the bakery with her mother, and at times would stop in for inspiration as to what to bake next.

The delectable smell of pastries filled her nose, and Penny felt herself inhale deeply. The warmth that the store always seemed to exude never ceased to fill Penny with wonder.

"My, my, if it isn't Penelope Sullivan" The voice was rough with age but tender in inflection as Penny turned to face the older man behind the counter.

"Hello, Mr. Campbell," Penny smiled politely, tucking her hands behind her back, "How are you today?"

"Quite well. Thank you, dear," Mr. Campbell grinned at her, before wiping his hands together and leaning towards the girl, "So what can I do you for?"

"I-uh- I was actually wondering if you were in any need of some assistance?" Penny clenched her fingers, "I'm in desperate need of some work,"

"Work? A girl your age? By heavens," Mr. Campbell shook his head in confusion. Penny winced as she realized that the man hadn't been told about her father, even though it seemed every else had been.

"Uh, sir, it-uh-my father.... he..." Penny fumbled for words as she felt her heart race nervously. She hadn't really spoken of it, small comments on specific events but she hadn't really sat down and spoken to anyone about what her father had done to her in whole. A backhanded comment was easy to say then dismiss but she wasn't sure she was truly prepared to face her demons.

"George! Don't ask the child a silly question," A more gentle voice called out, emerging from the back room, "Hello, Penny,"

"Hello, Mrs. Campbell," Penny smiled and sighed deeply.

"He's heard plenty on your... um... situation. He's just forgetful," Mrs. Edith Campbell was a plump women with an even more corpulent heart. She looked at Penny and her eyes softened, "You're looking for work?"

"Yes, ma'am. I know it's not typically for someone like me to be looking for work, but I'm excellent at cleaning and I've been baking for nearly my whole life," Penny began to ramble.

"We really aren't in need of much help," Mrs. Campbell trailed off sadly. As though it pained her to speak.

"Please..." Penny placed her hands in front of herself pleadingly.

Mr. Campbell was quick to react, "I'm sure we could find something, couldn't we, Ethel?"

Mrs. Campbell sighed before giving a firm nod, "I can't promise we'll pay you much, but we'd be glad to have a fresh face in the store,"

"I promise you won't regret it!" Penny beamed, "I'm more than happy to come every day after school, I could begin as soon as Monday"

"We'll be planning on ya, then," Mr. Campbell nodded.

"Can't wait to see you again, dear," Mrs. Campbell nodded before reaching into the glass case in front of her and pulling out a small pastry, "For the road,"

"I couldn't..." Penny shook her head.

"I've known you for years. I've known your father for years. I knew nothing," Mrs. Campbell whispered as she walked up to Penny, handing her the small baked good wrapped in a fabric, "Take the pastry, Penelope."

"Yes, ma'am," Penny nodded, pulling it close to her chest.

.❀。• *₊°。 ❀°。

That night, Penny had been made aware that there was little to be done for the Cuthberts. The bank had taken away their mortgage for the purposes that Matthew was ill and unable to work to pay them back.

"When you see everything together like this, it's quite an array of treasures," Anne sighed, stroking one of the many ornaments they had deemed necessary to sell.

"They're just things," Marilla sighed, "Matthew said the pawnbroker in Charlottetown buys all kinds of goods. I hope he's right,"

"I'm looking forward to seeing Miss. Josephine and staying in a guest room. Diana says the manse is ever so elegant," Anne stated positively, turning to Penny, "I'll be glad to see you two actually meet, she's absolutely divine,"

"I'm sure she is," Penny nodded with a small smile.

Anne's face turned saddened suddenly, "Oh, Marilla.. I wish I had something to contribute... oh!"

Quick as a whip, Anne bolted from the room and thundered up the stairs, returning just as quickly with an elegant dress in her arms.

"We can sell it to the shop," Anne told Marilla with a grin.

"Oh, there's no need to-" Marilla tried fussing.

"This is a family effort," Anne demanded.

Penny sighed once more. They kept using that word. Family. Home. She felt so odd intruding on this part of their lives, as if she wasn't meant to be. Going so long without any form of support or love, she never realized what family could really mean.

"I think you're being very noble, Anne," Penny placed a supporting hand on her friends shoulder, "I'd also like to do whatever I can to help. I don't have anything to sell, but if there's anything I could do,"

"I've been meaning to speak with you girls about that," Marilla voiced and motioned for the two to sit across from her on the couch which they did, "Matthew is... it's not wise for me to leave. I need to be home."

Anne took a deep, pensive breath before grabbing one of Penny's hands in her own, loosening the group only ever so slightly when the shorter flinched at the touch.

"We will go, Marilla," Anne said determinedly, "We can do it. I'm a veteran voyager and I will teach Penelope all that I know,"

"Jerry will accompany you," Marilla tacked on.

"What?" Anne seemed put out by the suggestion, and Penny was confused as Jerry had seemed quite kind last they'd met, "No, we'll be fine. We don't need company,"

"It's not for company," Marilla insisted, "It's for safety and assistance,"

"But this could be a quintessential heroes journey!" Anne nearly whined.

"You two aren't going on your own and that's final," Marilla stated, "Penny's never been and Jerry will be auctioning the sire and taking his last wages from the sale,"

"But we don't need-"

"I'll not hear another word of protest," Marilla voice was unwavering.

Anne gave an agonized groan before giving in.

Charlottetown, Penny hadn't truly thought about it, but this was it. She would finally be leaving Avonlea for the first time in her life. She couldn't help but let her mind wander, what it must be like to see distant lands. On this trip they'd be taking the sleigh but perhaps the next time she'd be able to ride the train, oh how she longed to ride a train.

If there is a next time

Penny shook her head at the thought. Of course, there would be. She was free now.