03. a ripple in the ocean

Dear Gilbert,

The weather has already begun to grow cold. Much earlier this year than normal, much to my utter chagrin. The flowers are wilting faster than I can blink.

I've also been invited to dinner at the Campbell's that same night, not an exactly unique occurrence as I'm sure you recall but there seem to be whispers around me about some sort of 'news' which fills me with a deep unease.

Although, the unease could also be due to school beginning again soon. I can't say I'm not nervous, I missed multiple lessons last spring due to my wayward state of affairs and I fear I may be behind. Anne, too, complains endlessly about how she fears she won't have an 'intellectual combatant' this year but I think that's her way of saying she misses you.

Does this coast have a name? I've enjoyed following your path on the map the Cuthbert's have hanging in their sitting room.

I wish you luck and safe travels!

Warm regards,

Penelope S.

.❀。• *₊°。 ❀°。

"So he hasn't professed his undying love to you through carefully written words of amor?" Anne whispered, bright eyes wide behind her loose hair as she stared at her friend laying next to her in bed.

"No, of course not. We're just friends, Anne," Penny shook her head, pulling the blanket closer to her chin, "But that doesn't make it any easier to explain to Ruby,"

"I think you underestimate her affection for you," Anne pointed out, "Friends are supposed to support you no matter what. Just trust her,"

"I suppose you're right," Penny sighed, "But can you just keep it between us for now? Let me tell her on my own time?"

"I promise," Anne vowed solemnly before biting her lip in thought, she opened her mouth to speak again when a sudden thunking could be heard downstairs. The two girls shared a quick look before Anne was scurrying towards the door, lighting the bedside candle quickly along the way.

"Anne... Anne, please!" Penny could only sigh as she pulled her cloak from the chair near the bed. Slipping it over her shoulders and chasing after her curious friend.

She found Anne huddled against the stairwell, listening intently to a conversation seemingly between Mr. Dunlop and Nate.

"I love it here," Mr. Dunlop professed, "The Cuthbert's are some of the finest people I know."

"I agree," Nate's voice was loud and Penny couldn't help but wonder why the man's tact seemed to be lacking when usually he was nothing short of polite, "Argh, I'm so torn, what a moral quandary. Do I do my job and tell my company or do I go with my heart and tell the town?"

"Only your conscience can guide you to the right decision," Mr. Dunlop advised before suddenly their words seemed to drop several octaves and reach a more usual for the evening hours.

Before Penny could contemplate further, Anne was turning away, candle in hand, and Penny was forced to follow.

"Oh, Penelope, what a dilemma," Anne's bottom lip was beginning to turn red with the force she was using to chew on it.

"I'm not sure I entirely understand what the matter is about." Penny whispered back, shedding her layer and following Anne back into bed.

"Nate, of course, he's discovered gold in Avonlea!" Anne explained, "But he's required by his employer to send the information back to America, but he feels as though the gold belongs to the people,"