04. find her a family

Dear Nellie,

I've just arrived in Trinidad, off the coast of South America. It is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen and with food so delicious I'd have to live two lives to even begin to describe it.

I wouldn't worry too much about the Campbells. From what I've seen, they're lovely people and I doubt they would do anything to wound you. I'm sure whatever news they have is good.

Also, as promised and in hopes of raising your spirits, I've had my friend Bash (his real name is Sebastian but he chooses to go by Bash for some reason but I've told him I find his given name much more elegant) show me a popular Trinidadian flower. It's called a chaconia, have you heard of it? It's a beautiful red color with blooms that extend outwards all the way down the stem. I'll see what I can do about bringing you back one.

Best regards,

Gilbert B.

PS. Tell Anne that no matter how far away I am, I will always be prepared for a good battle of intellects.

PPS. Anne can't be the only one who misses me, right?

.❀。• *₊°。 ❀°。

"It's about your position with us,"

Penny could have sworn her whole body was drenched with ice cold water, her head began spinning a million miles an hour.

"It's just not right for a girl your age to be working for a living and wandering from home to home like a lost pet," Mr. Campbell continued, only pressing the negativity further into Penny's mind.

You weren't enough.

They want you gone.

You're weak, weak, weak.

Her breathing began to catch itself in her throat. Penny lifted a hand to her hair in shock as her eyes closed tightly. Beyond her control, her knees pulled up into her chest, arms wrapping tightly.

I can't breath. I can't breath.

Weak. Weak. WEAK.

"Penny?! Dear, what's wrong?"

"Penelope! Can you hear us?"

The voices were distorted, as though Penny was trapped underwater.

The faster her breathing got, the less feeling she had in her extremities.

A hand landed softly on her shoulder only to leave just as quickly when Penelope jerked backwards in fright.

"Please, I'm sorry," Penny couldn't feel the tears but her voice was hitching and thick as though she were crying, "I'll be better, I'll be better,"

"Better? Penelope, you have to breathe first, dear,"

"I can't," Penny lips were beginning to turn an odd shade of purple.

"You can,"

You can... Just breathe, Nellie....

Follow me, in and out, you see?

The voice in her head sounded different. More comforting than the usual angry sneer. And for once, she wanted to listen to it.

In and out. In and out.

Slowly, and steadily, Penny began to breath. Her extremities wiggled gently, sore from the force she was tightening them with.

Looking up, Penny was met with the frightened eyes of the Campbells. Mrs. Campbell seemed close to tears.