oo4: Drop-Zone

C A R R I B E A N S E A
July 22, 20:08 ECT

To say that the atmosphere inside the Bioship was tense would be a gross understatement. Here they were, all too preoccupied with their own thoughts to say much of anything, on their first official mission from Batman.

"We're approaching Santa Prisca," Miss Martian spoke up suddenly, and Silverbird, from her spot in between Robin and Kid Flash, glanced over her shoulder at M'gann.

Despite herself, Reese thought back to a few hours earlier, when Batman had briefed them all, back in Mount Justice.

---

"Isla Santa Prisca," Batman began, standing in front of the holo-screens in the cave. "This island nation is the primary source of a dangerous and illegal neo-steroid, a strength-enhancing drug, sold under the street name Venom,"

Reese tapped her foot against the ground, already getting antsy. Their first real mission, she couldn't wait.

"Infrared heat signatures--" Batman continued as he pulled up more holo-screens. "--indicates their factory is still operating at full capacity. But, all shipments of Venom have been inexplicably cut off,"

Beside Reese, Wally, ever the speedster, was eating a bag of potato chips, and the munching was getting on Reese's nerves. Whenever her adrenaline got too high, her enhanced senses spiked, and right now, all she could hear were Wally's chips being chewed into little tiny pieces inside his mouth.

"--That's where this team comes in," Reese turned back to Batman as the Dark Knight turned to face the six of them. "This is a covert recon mission only. Observe and report. If the Justice League needs to intervene, it will. The plan requires two drop-zones,"

"So, who's in charge?" Dick asked from Reese's other side, tilting his head to the side.

Batman and Red Tornado exchanged a look, before turning back to the younger heroes in front of them.

"Work that out between you,"

---

Silverbird knew that Robin thought he could be the leader. And in any other situation, she'd agree. Dick was born with natural leadership skills, they just...weren't right for the scenario.

Even at times when Green Arrow or Black Canary had to partner up with Batman and Robin for one thing or another, and she had come along, Reese noticed that Bruce and Dick worked like a well-oiled machine.

They knew how the other thinks, and that made the verbal making of a plan null and void. But, their team wasn't Batman and Robin. No doubt Bruce had done background checks on everyone, studying their fighting styles, or lack thereof, but they didn't know how to work together like a well-oiled machine, or at least, not like Batman and Robin. Not yet, anyway.

Someday, Dick would probably end up leading them, but not today, not right now.

Reese herself knew that she wasn't ready to be a leader, she might never be ready to be a leader. She worked with Ollie and Dinah sure, but Silverbird always followed their lead.

Most of the time, Reese was too scared she was going to mess something up if she were ever put in charge.

M'gann wasn't experienced enough to be leader, she was still trying to figure out Earthian customs, Superboy was too impulsive and angry, and having Wally put in charge? Forget it.