4

karen

after the meeting, all the gladers were quiet usually they made pranks and talked but today it was quiet,they only talked when they needed something or had a question.

"it's me huh I'm the problem." i whispered to newt who was helping me pick up dead plants.

"no,like i said before he was frustrated." he said.

"you just saying that to make me feel better." i said.

he rolled his eyes." no karen im not,i don't know how to say it but i care about you." he said looking at me to see my reaction.

my heart started to beat harder and i could feel my cheeks get red.

"awwwwww." i heard a voice say i looked up and saw chuck smiling.

"chuck." newt groaned,his cheeks getting a little red.

chuck handed newt a bucket of water and walked back to the other gladers.

"karen,come on.." he grabbed my hand and with enough force he picked me up and we started to run into the forest.

"come on." he helped me up to a tree branch.

"newt you know i hate being really high up." i said.

"oh come on you like this one." he said.

i breathed in and finally i started to climb without looking down,and he was right the view was beautiful.

"karen, i want to tell you something...you've been here for about what almost a month and well-." he started to say.

oh god,what was he going to say...

"i like you." he said softly.

"newt-" i said.

he cupped my face and kissed me.

"newt-." i backed away from kissing newt and looked down to see thomas. "we need you." he yelled a little irritated.

we both started to climb down. he got down first and after he helped me down.

thomas waited for us and then after walked us toward the problem. on the way it was dead silence, thomas' eyes met mine, he quickly looked away.

we got there and i saw what was going on. minho was carrying what seemed to be a girl. i walked a little faster.

"where did you find her?" i asked.

"me and thomas were running back and we saw her laying on the floor..." he said gasping for air.

"come take her to the infirmary." frypan said.

the girl had brown hair. i got closer to her and saw she had cuts on her cheeks and hands. it seemed as if she were running or trying to escape something.

minho put her down on the same bed where i laid the day i got here and sat down. frypan handed him a cup of water.

gally came in to take a glance. he made eye contact with me and quickly looked away. newt came in and stood across from me. i touched my lips remembering the feeling i had gotten.

the girl gasped . she looked around her brown eyes with fear.

no one talked.

"hi I'm Karen what's your name?" i finally said.

"i don't- chloe it's chloe." she said a little startled. "where am I."

"you're in a glade." i said.

"oh..." she said with a confused look.

"guys sorry to interrupt.... but the doors are closing and we have to take care of ben.." a glader said. one after another glader left. I stayed with chole and asked her if she felt ok or if she could remember anything.

"im sorry thats all i remember ." she said drinking water out of the cup.

i nodded and walked toward the doorway to see what was going on with ben. the site broke my heart, ben was being put into the maze and that meant grievers. just thinking about it made me get goosebumps. my eyes filled with tears, seeing the doors close and hear his cries.

chloe stood up and looked at me. "you ok?" she asked.

''ya." i said quickly wiping my tears.

the gladers left their sticks against the walls and slowly walked back.