7. Camilla

I can't believe what I did, I hate using violence but cannot deny the feeling of satisfaction at seeing one of my tormentors at my feet in pain.  I absently rubbed my hand across my knee, feeling the start of the bruise, cursing the fact I bruised so easily, then wondering how he felt, from the books I've read, it's very painful for the man when that happens, I hoped so.
Now, every time I flexed my leg, I felt the bruise and I would remember the power I felt when I did it. I have a moment of fear when I wonder how he will retaliate, would he hurt me?  I didn't think so, but you never know.
I hear the ssh of paper sliding under my door and get up to pick up the note, opening to see it's from Tim saying we would meet as a group in the library to study for our debate tomorrow instead of the class.  I sit down and stare at it, did they know what I had done to Kristian, at least the library would be busy during classes, there would be people around, so they couldn't do anything to me there.
I decided to skip dining hall this evening instead pulling out some snacks from my cupboard, I couldn't face anyone tonight, not after that and after the last few terms issues, I had decided a well stocked cupboard was essential to avoiding difficult meal times.
I slept fitfully the memory of how safe I had felt with Kristian's arms around me before I had panicked at his words, he was going to look after me, protect me, keep me safe.  He had been my bully and my mind felt confused at why now he was being nice, I know when they had stolen my clothes, he hadn't looked happy and he had helped when dad brought me back but why.

I staggered through my first two classes of the morning, surprised when people chatted happily to me, even with my short responses they seemed genuine and one of the football team had even held the door open for me and said good morning.
Now I was slowly walking towards the library, to meet with Tim, Aiden and Kristian.  I was nervous and as I stepped into the vast room, I saw them sat at the table nearest the office and I relaxed a little knowing we would be under the eye of Mrs Young, our Librarian.
The only open chair was at Kristian's side and he saw me approaching, drawing the others attention my way. Tim stood up as I reached them, "We can swap places if your not comfortable" he offered quietly but I shook my head, moving to sit next to Kristian.
"I'm sorry" he turned and looked at me and I could see how worried he was about my reaction "I shouldn't have grabbed you, but the words I said were true... I'm sorry that I was ever involved with what happened to you, I'm sorry I let it happen and I would really like to be your friend." He says and I nod, jumping slightly as he holds out his hand to shake. "Friends" he grins as he shakes my hand and I laugh when two more hands cross the table and Aiden moans "Hey us too, we want to be your friends as well" and I giggle, as I first shake one then the other.
"Good, we are all friends, so now lets get this debate stuff started" Tim ordered.
We worked on the outlines together, listing areas which we would include, the boys all looking uncomfortable when it came to bullying but took their cues from me, and we got a surprising amount of work done. I was aware that Kristian's gaze kept returning to me but he didn't do anything else and at the end of the session, I felt more relaxed with them.
"Would you like to join us for lunch, we're all going off campus to the cafe in the village" Aiden asked as we tidied away the books.  I hesitated looking between them "As friends" Kristian added smiling encouragingly at me and again I felt myself give in to him and nodded.  I was going to say no to Aidan but Kristian adding to the invite, my brain just acted with a yes.
"Cool, we'll meet you outside in 10 minutes" Aiden said and they headed out.
Mrs Young came over to me as I watched them leave "it's good to see you with friends Camilla" she smiled and I nodded before following them out.
I dropped my books in my dorm room and grabbed a coat and my purse, heading for the car park where the boys were waiting next to Kristian's Range Rover.  I half wished my dads would let me bring my car here but I hadn't ever really needed it before.
"Hey great, right on time" Tim said when he saw me coming and I blushed as Kristian opened the passenger door for me, Aiden and Tim getting into the back, talking about an online video game they had been playing, drawing Kristian into the argument once he was seated.
I listened in silence as he drove us the short drive to the village, I recognised a couple of other student cars in the car park and hoped this wasn't a mistake.
"Don't worry" Kristian whispered and I jumped, looking round at him questioningly. "You looked worried" he said a little sadly and I can see the guilt on his face, he knew my nerves were because of what I'd been through.
"I'm okay" I tell him softly, glad when Aiden opens my door and helps me out, leading me into the cafe and towards a table in the corner, calling hello to the girl behind the counter, the other two following us.
I had been in here once before with mom and papa when they had come to visit one day but it had been an older lady that day and no students about.
I gazed round in interest, feeling nervous at the other students looking at us in interest.
"They'll stop in a minute" Tim said, "people are curious about you, and now Natalie's not here to spread her poison, they are unsure of who you are" he added, looking straight at the other students, causing them to turn away embarrassed.
"Curious?" I asked carefully.
"You never told the teachers, you never complained, never reacted, even as the bullying continued, Natalie warned anyone being your friend would face the same, and even as you were alone, you didn't break, you were a challenge to her" Aiden explained softly, watching me.
"Most people don't even know why Natalie had it in for you, she told a story that you had broken up her relationship with your brother, threatened her and then, that you had framed her, called her poor trash and made it that you were a stuck up bitch and she the victim, now she's not here whispering her poison, people are questioning her story, especially after what she, they did." Kristian says and I can hear the hate in his voice for himself. I don't even think as I put my hand on his to reassure him, only realising when the waitress comes for our order. I blush and pull my hand away, searching the menu quickly for what I want. Once she leaves, I sit in silence, knowing they are all watching me and I tell them my side.
"When Natalie started she was my friend, she quickly replaced my other friends, making sure to tell me negative things about them while saying everything I thought I wanted to hear... she had done her research, she knew who I was, who my family was, that was her target, one of my brothers, preferably Alex, but I didn't realise at first, only when she kept pushing for an invite home, dropping hints about them being single and how it would be great to be sisters, I said no, it wasn't possible and after that she changed, at first I didn't know it was her, she played me, and then tried to set me up with Jonah, but, I had gone to her dorm room and heard them, she was telling him to drug me and do what he wanted and she would then blackmail me with the scandal and they could both profit from it. Jonah had asked me out when I first started here and I had said no to him, so he carried a grudge for that" I paused as our order was delivered "I was careful after that and started avoiding her till she cornered me and admitted everything and then it got worse, she played the victim and you all backed her and I understood why, she was popular, knew how to suck people in, I just wanted to be left alone" I finished and picked up my sandwich, blindly eating as I waited for their reactions.
"Why didn't you say something, the school, your parents?" Aiden questioned angrily.
"I had no proof and besides what good would it have done, it could have made it worse, I was dealing with it..." I trail off thinking of the last prank.
"Till the end of last term" Kristian said slowly and I nodded.
I focussed on eating my sandwich and drinking my coffee as the talk turned to something less personal, the computer game they had been arguing over in the car.
"Do you play?" Kristian asked bringing me into the discussion.  I shook my head, I had never been asked to play, it had never interested me.
"Would you like to?" He asked, his gaze holding mine and I shrugged, not wanting to say yes and seem desperate, yet I couldn't say no either.
"You've never played a video game?" Aiden asked astonished, looking at me and I giggle. "No, I haven't" I admit and they take this to heart, Tim telling the others something that made no sense till he turned to me and added, "okay after classes later, we will meet you for dinner then we can teach you, every student should be able to say they have at least tried to play" he ordered and I glanced at Kristian quickly before biting my lip, "No excuses, we are doing this" Tim added scowling at me as he muttered to himself about finding a suitable game.
My jaw dropped and the other two laughed at me as I gazed at Tim, "What just happened?" I asked.
"Just go with it, gaming is Tim's thing, he wants to work in game design, I think he's even got a couple of possible places lined up when he leaves school" Kristian whispers and I nod, still watching Tim mumble to himself.
"Come on we had better get back" Aiden says looking at his watch and I look round noticing that all the other students had already left, I reach for my purse but Kristian's hand stills mine, "we take turns, today is Aidens, then mine and you can pay the time after" he explains and I nod shyly, taken by his expectation I will come with them again.
Aiden comes back from paying and we head out to the car, Kristian again holding open the door for me and I smile and thank him.