21. Alex

Geneva was still asleep but with the early morning sun filtering into the suite, Henry and I had decided to wait to wake her,  until breakfast arrived, and we are sat reading, Henry with the morning papers and me with Grants report on the Kingston boy, when the phone rang and I answer.

"Who... just him?" I bark out, making Henry raise his head from his paper curious. "Send him up and hold our room service" I instruct, hanging up.

"We have a visitor, the Kingston boy is here to see us?" I tell him.
"Alone?" Henry queries and I nod, tossing the folder to Henry so he can take a quick look before he arrives.

Checking that Geneva was still asleep, I close the bedroom door and watch as Henry flicks through the file, his brows raising at some parts and I bet I could guess which... the Rochester connection.

The knock on the door is firm and I cross to open it, eyeing the young man stood waiting for us. Kingston was smartly dressed and kept his head up, maintaining eye contact as I stared at him.
"Kingston"
"May I come in?" he asks politely and I step back allowing him access, his gaze moving to Henry as I close the door behind him.

"I am sorry to disturb you this early but I am meeting Millie for lunch and wanted to speak to you before this afternoons event" he explains.

"Sit" Henry tells him and I move forward to take the other chair opposite him.
"What do you want Kingston" I ask and see his nerves for the first time.

"I want to tell you about what happened to Millie and my part in it and I want to explain what is happening now between us, I know she is worried about what you will do but I know I did wrong and deserve whatever comes my way, but whatever you do to me, it cannot hurt her" he tells us.

"Start at the beginning, I want to know everything that happened" I snapped and he nodded, telling us his story...

"Two bloody years, what the hell, why didn't anyone deal with this.  And your friends, the ones who started it all?" Henry asks as he finishes explaining to us.
"They are not my friends any more, I was blinded to what they were like, but that's over, I have no, nor do I wish to have any contact with either or them, now or in the future.  Millie means everything to me and I will never forgive them or myself for what we put her through"

I sit back and study him, silently impressed that he took the initiative to face us, that he owned up to what happened and seemed determined to change. But he wasn't getting off that easily.
"What is to stop you doing it again?" I question.

"Millie, it hurts to see any pain in her eyes and to even think of being involved with causing her any, is gutting. She is everything I think about, no matter what I am doing, I wonder would she like this, And... i can see a future with her so clearly, it feels real already and I want it"

I can hear a rustling in the other room and share a look with Henry "Gen is waking up" he agrees.

"Its time for you to leave, we will think over what you said and see you later" I tell him and he stands up facing me and Henry, his back straight as he looks at us.
"Whatever you decide about me, just be gentle with Millie, please" he asks and we nod and watch him leave the room.

As one door closes the bedroom door opens "I am impressed" Geneva says to us as she walks towards us, clad once again in just a robe.
"Morning baby, With what?" Henry questions as he leans down to kiss her before she comes to me.

"You didn't kill him and I'm impressed he came here to face you, especially knowing your reputations, his explanations were clear and understandable and he shows a genuine interest in making it up to her" "I believe him" she adds smiling up at us.

"You were listening in?" I wasn't that surprised "Can leopards really change their spots?"I muse and Gen and Henry laugh at me.
"Yes, my love they can, especially where love is involved" Gen tells me wrapping her arms around me.

"Mmm, we will see, I want to see him with Mils before I decide, don't you agree Henry?" I ask shooting him a look and he grins back at me.

"Of course" he chuckles, just as Geneva's stomach growls and we both laugh.
"Quick lets feed you before you growl again" I laugh and she swats at my arm playfully.
"Rawr, yes please, I am starving" she growls and I call down to rush breakfast up to us.