Chapter 25

Yunhee's face was as white as the lie he told

Kim Taehyung wasn't just collecting them, he was trafficking them. Jimin was pretty confident this was the case, but before he dropped that bomb, he wanted to investigate further and gather more evidence.

The disconcerting news, paired with the recent photos of Yunhee, would send the woman into a blind panic. If she was in any sort of danger, he needed to focus if he wanted to protect her.

'Why?' was the first question that popped out of Yunhee's mouth. 'Why would he do that? For exchange? Does he use them to retrieve money like you did?'

'In a word,' Jimin said quietly, watching her features mutate through a range of emotions, 'and maybe for other...benefits.'

Yunhee visibly blanched at his words, dropping back onto the bed in shock. The room was silent as she stared at the floor, her face a ghostly shade as Jimin watched her process the news. There was something she was not telling him, he could see it in the way she picked at the hem of her sweatshirt.

'What is it?' Jimin frowned while moving away from the window.

'He let me go,' Yunhee said with a ghastly look on her face. 'I willingly visited his house, he planted a document with illicit information about kidnapping women, and then he let me walk right out the door.'

'Perhaps you're not a target-'

'He has naked photos of me, Jimin!' Yunhee yelled in exasperation as she slapped her hands on top of her legs.

Jimin dug his fingernails into his palms. He didn't need a reminder of the candid photos on the living room floor, they were already imprinted in his brain, and not in the way a man would typically enjoy.

Yunhee was right. Those shots weren't just a warning for him to watch his back; they were a warning that Taehyung had his eye on her. He knew what was going on; he just struggled to swallow the unpleasant notion.

If Taehyung was willing to let her go to hunt her down again, then they were dealing with a predator whose psychosis was off the scale. Jimin was no stranger to villainy, and he'd seen his fair share of bloodshed, but trafficking, hurting women...

The majority of his childhood was spent witnessing elaborate business parties within the walls of their mansion, his father playing the perfect host to his friends and enemies. When the music died, and the house was empty, though, the shadows crept in, and it was his mother's harrowing cries that soaked the air.

'Did he touch you?' Jimin found himself next to Yunhee, his fingers hovering over her quivering hands. Quivering hands that shook exactly like his mother's did when his cruel father was done with her.

'No,' Yunhee assured, her voice cracking enough to stop Jimin's heart, 'but I think I had his attention.'

'Elaborate,' he deadpanned, 'what do you mean you had his attention?'