Chapter 37

We arrived at the police station unscathed and immediately parted ways. Alex went to the cafeteria to fetch a drink so that he could take his painkillers, and I went to Dixon's office.

He saw me coming through the glass and nodded at me, so I didn't bother knocking before I pushed the door open. Thankfully, Sten was no longer in there.

"Amber," Dixon said as I closed the door. "Update me on your progress. The deceased is Lonn Temple, head researcher of Lab S at Socrico University Research?"

"Yes, sir. We've spoken with his wife, Janet Temple, and his niece, Frankie Jarsdel. Both have confirmed that he went home to have dinner with them. Then he left again at seven. That was the last time he was seen alive." I sighed. "We're still working on finding out why he went back to the lab. We're also trying to locate some work that was stolen from his office."

"What work?"

"I don't know, sir." And spelling it out made my spirits sink. My future was riding on a whole lot of nothing.

He nodded, his eyes narrowing. "You're very flushed, Amber."

"We had to run back here. The journalists are like hounds." That was totally the reason. None of my colouring whatsoever was because I'd snogged my sergeant down a dark alleyway. "I actually came to talk about organising a press conference."

"That's already underway." Dixon sat back in his chair. "I'm pulling out all the stops to hold it tonight in the hope that it will make them back off tomorrow."

"What time, sir?"

He shook his head. "You don't need to know, because I don't want you and Alex to be there. I'll handle the media frenzy. You focus on the investigation."

I hesitated. Then I smiled. "Thank you, sir."

Leaving his office, I followed the maze of glass cubes back to my own. I had to pass Sebastian's on my way, and I saw him sitting in there alone. He caught my eye through the glass. I waved. He stood up and came to the door, so I turned around and waited for him.

Before Alex had arrived, Sebastian had been (and probably still was to many) the best-looking man on Socrico's police force. If Alex was tall, dark, and handsome, then Sebastian was tall, fair, and charming. He pulled his door open and lounged on the threshold with a smile. "Amber. I heard you've got a new investigation."

"That's right. Murder at Socrico University."

"So now you've started the Trials." His gaze drifted to the metal bracelet peeking out from the cuff of my button-up blouse. "Sten's fitted you with spyware already?"

"Yes." I smiled faintly. "That's monitoring my heart rate or something. I've also got electrodes picking up my brain signals, a microphone under my shirt, and video-recording contact lenses in my eyes."

Sebastian grinned. "Big Brother is watching us. I'd better go and hide the empty bottles in my office."

I laughed. "You do that. I have to get on with solving this case."

"Good luck."

"Thanks. See you later."

When I finally reached my office, Alex was at his desk with a cup of coffee, a packaged sandwich, and his tabphone. He dragged his eyes away from the screen as I entered. "What did Dixon say?"

"He's holding a press conference about the investigation and our Trial tonight. We can stay well away, which means I can keep my promise to you and cook dinner." I sank into my chair and realised I also had coffee and a sandwich in front of me. "Oh. Thank you."