5. Addie

Addie and Lawson were busy rigging up their new boat when a bunch of cars and trucks pulled up next to their home. The RV followed behind them at a slower pace, dodging all of the potholes in the gravel.

Addie came to the conclusion that more survivors must have shown up, because she'd never seen those vehicles around before. So unless her brother made a trip outta town to get new wheels, then they were about to meet some new people.

Addie and Lawson looked at each other silently before going back to what they were doing. It was probably a bunch of new old people. There seemed to be a lot of those.

They could meet them later, their task was much more important.

"Adderral, no!" Teddy shouted when he jumped out of the rig. "Don't you do it!"

She was going to do it just to spite him now. She hated it when he used the name she was born with. It wasn't her responsibility to carry the name her druggie mother left her with. Twenty-two years old and people still gave her shit for her name.

Not many kids could claim to be named after their parents favorite euphoriant drug.

As always, her and Lawson communicated silently. Let's do it, his eyes said.

Addie shrugged and started up the motor. It wasn't that big, it was just one of those dinghy boats that fit about two to three people. If Tyler and Simon weren't busy, they'd probably find a way to squeeze in with them so they could go along for the ride.

It was summer time, so the lake was drying up, which revealed raised land in some random spots. Earlier that day, her and Lawson went and smoothed it over and had the great idea of trying to jump the boat to get to the other side where the water deepened. They even waxed the bottom of the boat so it'd slide right over the red clay.

Their friends were going to be so jealous.

"Ready, Addie?" Lawson asked as he jumped into the boat and shucked his shirt off.

Addie took hers off as well, but kept her jean shorts on. She pulled her dark brown hair up into a messy bun before she jumped into the boat, sporting her black bikini top.

"Ready, Laws."

They high fived themselves and took off on the water. She looked back just in time to see her brother shaking his head frantically and covering his eyes with his hand. He's always been a ninny.

People started to pile out of there vehicles and it made her jaw drop. "Holy shit, Laws! Look at how many greenies there are!"

"Jesus," he shouted over the revving of the motor, his head reared back.

Addie shook her head and held on as Lawson started doing cookies on the water. Her eyes were bright with excitement. She loved the adrenaline that rushed through her body when the two of them were about to do something stupid.

They made a few trial runs by jumping the waves.

They grew up on the lake, so they knew it better than anyone. This spectacle was actually pretty tame compared to their other shenanigans.

Just when Lawson started to speed up, she spotted people on the townies side of the bank watching. When she saw her grandma in her ass less chaps, she smiled and waved.

Three. Addie tightened her hold on the boat handles.

Two. Lawson cheered loudly when they inched towards the jump.

One. They were flying through the air, screams of delight echoed over the lake.

Wind blew through her hair, causing her ponytail to whip around and hit her cheeks. The song Free Fallin' by Tom Petty sprung to mind.