Fourteen: Good Moments

Things after that night were

Things after that night were... interesting. For one, Murray had no idea about anything that had conspired which was a lot. Maybe Nancy and Sloane sharing a bed after finally giving in to their yearning and stupid sexual tension was a bad idea, but Sloane had very few regrets. At breakfast that next morning, Sloane was sure to keep her neck covered up while they ate.

Murray placed three plates of eggs and hashbrowns in front of them and Sloane was grateful as the motel food had been absolutely horrible. She began shoveling food into her mouth, anxious to get back on the road and return to Hawkins. With all the drama, she had almost forgotten why they were there and what they were doing in the first place.

They ate in silence until Murray looked at the three of them, "So, Jonathan, how was the pullout?"

Without breaking his stride, Jonathan shrugged and answered, "It was comfortable, thank you." Meanwhile, his eyes flicked between the two girls as a small half-smile teased his expression.

Sloane bit her lip to hide back the grin that would surely give her away as she and Nancy traded sideways, teasing glances. Sure, the world was ending, but these moments felt separate from that. For just a few moments, she let herself be happy about something. Maybe something in her life could actually be good.

"I bet," was Murray's response and Sloane had to let out a small chuckle. If only he knew.

"You seem to be in a good mood, Sloane," Murray noted to which the girl nodded, "You're a bit testy when you get drunk, you know."

"I've been told I can be a bit of a psychopath," the girl mused, her eyes drifting to Nancy as she remembered the first time they had kissed. Oh, how her life had changed in such a short amount of time. Her and Nancy's relationship was much more different on that rooftop than it was right now. However, it was a good change.

After breakfast, they all took turns using the phone to call their parents. Nancy told her mother she had spent the night at Sloane's, whereas Sloane had claimed to be at the Wheeler's house.

Once Nancy got off the phone, she looked over at Jonathan, saying, "She said Mike's at your brother's house, they just had a sleepover so..."

"Oh, okay."

"Do you wanna try again?" Nancy offered the phone up to Jonathan. His mother must not have answered when he called.

Jonathan shook his head at this, "No. No, they're probably just at the matinee or something."

"Yeah, I'm sure," Nancy reassured before turning to Sloane, "You ready to go?"

As they stepped onto the stoop and into the cold, they turned to face Murray. With a smile, he held out a bottle of vodka and offered, "For your travels." Then, a bottle of water. "And to water it down."