Seventeen: Mind Flayer

Back at the Byers household, Sloane stood on edge

Back at the Byers household, Sloane stood on edge. Sure, they were safe from immediate danger, but there was no telling what would come next. She was just thankful she had Elliot and Nancy by her side. As much as she hadn't wanted her brother to get involved, she was just glad that if he was he was going to be with her. Nancy was off comforting Jonathan who was, in turn, comforting his younger brother, Will. Sloane wanted to go over there, but part of her felt like she was intruding. Jealousy was not an emotion she knew well and she knew she would have to get used to the idea that Nancy and Jonathan were friends. Nancy was not something for her to win and Nancy had made her feelings very clear for Sloane so there was no need for her to feel insecure.

The police chief, Sloane had learned his name was Jim Hopper, but he was often referred to by his surname, was on the phone with someone, sounding frustrated as he recalled the situation at the lab. Meanwhile, the rest of them just stood around, waiting. Sloane didn't know what they were waiting for, but it couldn't be anything good.

"Are you gonna tell me the real reason you got involved with all of this, Elliot?" Sloane whispered harshly, making sure nobody else could hear their conversation. Everyone was consumed in their own actions, so it didn't matter much.

Elliot sighed, "I mean, Steve and I kind of have like... a thing going on. We're friends. Ever since he stayed the night after the party we just kind of... clicked. Anyway, it's complicated."

"This whole stupid town is complicated," Sloane sighed, giving her brother a stern look. She may be younger, but they had both been hurt too many times to count. Both by each other and by others around them. She hoped the onslaught of disaster could be a turning point for them and their relationship. "But whatever's happening, be careful and always do what's best for you."

"I could say the same thing for you," he scoffed and she knew he was right. No matter how secure things were with Nancy, this was high school, after all.

Before their conversation could continue, Sloane heard yelling from the kitchen that sounded like it was coming from Mike, "We'll see? We can't just sit here while those things are loose!"

Sloane had met Mike only a few minutes ago, but she could already see how passionate he was about both his friend, Will and the monsters they had to fight. Apparently, this wasn't the first time the kids had been caught up in this. She knew with a pang in her heart that these kids had all been forced to grow up too fast.

"We stay here and we wait for help," Hopper spoke firmly. Mike went silent as the man walked away.

Sighing, the blonde walked over to the boy sitting at the table, speaking gently, "Hey, Mike, right? I know I don't know you guys all too well, but I'm good friends with your sister and I know a lot about what you guys went through last year. I know it may not seem like it now, but putting you guys in more danger -- even though we know you know how to hold your own -- isn't worth it right now. Your friend, Will? He's been going through hell and it'll be that much worse for him if any of his friends get hurt. I'm not a fighter, I'm gonna be honest with you, but sometimes waiting is just for the best."