Epilogue

June, 1986.

It was odd to think about how much Sloane's life had changed in two short years

It was odd to think about how much Sloane's life had changed in two short years. Sure, the monsters were a part of it that she definitely hadn't expected, but that didn't stay with her as much as the love did. Things got testy last summer with the Mind Flayer's big return that honestly, Sloane expected, but no one agreed with her until it was too late. Well, Nancy always believed her -- she had gotten quite sharp since she started journalism. She had always been sharp, Sloane thought, but it was about time people started listening to her.

"Is it dumb to think that I wanna marry you?" Sloane asked as she opened the passenger door of Nancy's car. They were still in their caps and gowns, but Sloane didn't care about that too much. Being a fresh eighteen-year-old about to leave a small town, there were bigger things to look forward to than this. This was for her parents who never loved her but honestly, never expected her to graduate either. However, her favorite middle finger to them was saying she was going to be a groupie for a rock band in New York. (She wasn't, of course). The only groupie she was going to be was Nancy's while she studied with Jonathan in New York -- with the three of them sharing an apartment of course. Sloane still hadn't let Jonathan think she liked him and she fully planned on keeping it that way.

"No," Nancy hardly hesitated with her answer, which surprised the blonde, "No, it's not crazy. I mean, not yet, obviously, it's not even legal, I don't think."

Sloane laughed a bubbly giggle, "Well, when it is, then."

"You think we'll be alive to see it?"

"I will literally become a congresswoman just so I can legalize it," the girl chuckled, "Fuck it, I'll just be president."

"President's should probably go to college," Nancy mumbled as she smiled, pulling the girl in for a kiss as they leaned over the center console, her hand gently gripping her chin. "And maybe not have a history of monster fighting."

She scoffed, "It's not a history, it was only twice. Besides, you did most of the actual fighting, I just gasped dramatically and held onto you. Who has time for fighting? I'm not looking to break a nail."

Nancy laughed, but there was no mockery behind it, just love, "Please never stop being you. I love you."

Sloane kissed her again, "I love you, too."

November, 1989