Chapter 12

You slowly woke up.

The light of the rising sun passed between the blinds and heated the room. You were scratching your eyes when you felt a breathing fanning on your shoulders.

Oh.

Everything came back to your mind, and you felt a pleasant heat in your lower belly.

You shifted a bit and the two arms that held you close tightened. You couldn't help but smile.

"THEY CALLED US! OH MY GOD, THEY CALLED US!"

You heard muffled screams in the corridor, and steps approaching. You felt Jon move behind you.

The door suddenly opened, and you were still surprised it hasn't flown across the room.

"THE FEST- oops- I didn't see anything!"

You actually opened your eyes now to see David at the door frame, hands on his eyes. Jon let go of you, and scratched his eyes. You both sat up. "What the fuck dude... Do you know the concept of knocking?"

You stirred and laughed: "Or the helium hasn't evacuated his body completely."

Jon turned to you and smiled. Richie passed his head through the frame. He didn't seem to notice David was still hiding eyes behind his hands, or both of you naked in the bed; "Jon, you won't believe it! You see the annual festival they do in the great field not far from here? They called us! We're gonna play tonight!"

Jon gasped. "We... What?"

You let out: "You guys have a real problem with deadlines."

"Yeah, a group cancelled and they saw us at the television the other day. Guys..." You could tell he was excited. "Fuck let me hug you."

He nearly jumped on the bed and took both of you in his arms.

He held you tightly. "Oh and..." He moved back to look at you. 'It was about time."

You laughed. Richie suddenly got back. "y/n! You should play with us." David finally removed his hands and agreed. He seemed to remember and took something from his pocket: "Oh, and this was in the mailbox this morning." He handled you a little envelope, with your name written on it.

Certainly your aunt. You felt a cold shiver run down your spine.

Something was wrong.

"Guys, do you mind if...?"

"Oh yeah. See you at breakfast."

Both guys left. Jon turned to you: "I thought they would never leave." He took the envelope from your hands, put it on the bedside table, and threw back the bedsheets on you. "Where were we?"

-

Nothing was wrong.

Everything was right, totally right. Your aunt finished the watches. You were going back to 2019. Back to normal. And you hated yourself for how you were feeling.

You were tapping the letter with your fingers.

y/n

I did it!

Let's go home.

Meet me tonight, round 7.30pm where you landed the other day.

Love you

You sighed. You were sat at the kitchen table. Richie was washing something down the sink, and David and Jon were at their shifts.

You turned on your stool and looked at him. It was the first time you were alone with him since...

"Richie?"

He turned. "Yeah?"

You gulped. You felt the insides of your eyes tickle.

He frowned: "Are you alright?"

You managed to let out a "no" before breaking down.

-

"Ok. Here is what I think." You looked at him. He actually remembered your conversation of the other night.

All of it.

You didn't know if the most absurd thing was that he kept everything in mind despite what was flooding in his veins at that moment or that he believed you.

Richie was holding your letter in his hands. After seeming to hesitate, he told you what he thought: "Don't tell them anything and go there when you have to."

You opened wide eyes. "You... you want me to leave without saying the truth to the others? Without saying goodbye?"

"I will." He took your hand in his.

"Ho-"

"I will tell them the truth." He glanced at the clock. "They will soon come back, but we'll have to leave for rehearsals. Just..."

Indeed, they came back soon. Richie quickly let your hand go and you shoved the letter in your pocket when you heard steps. David and Jon opened the door and joined you. They noticed your weird faces. "What happened? Don't tell me there is a problem for tonight?"

You shook your head and forced a smile: "No, my aunt just called, it seemed urgent. I have to join her." Jon presented a rather sad face: "Shit, I hope it's not serious. And I hope you'll be on time for the show."

Richie and you exchanged a look.

David watched the clock and said: "Don't you think we should go there? To get ready and all. We'll perform a new song, it would be cool to repeat it again." Jon and Richie nodded. David told you: "See you there then!"

"Wait!"

He stopped in his tracks and frowned. "Are you alright?"

You tried to control the muscles of your face a maximum. "Yeah don't worry I... Guys. Let me hug you."

You advanced and took David in your arms. He seemed surprised, but gave you your hug back. 'For good luck."

He smiled. "No need good luck, you'll be there!" He got back and winked at you.

You then turned to Richie. During the three seconds that you shared a look before hugging, he gave you a sad smile. Before breaking apart, he gave you a quick kiss on your forehead.

"David, we go?" The keyboardist nodded and followed him. Before closing the door, Richie looked at you. "Bye."

You waved back.

He closed the door.

You breathed deeply.

"Wow, he seems stressed doesn't he." You turned to Jon. "I told you he was easily stressed. See his face." He smiled at you and approached. He took you by the waist and brought you against him.

You put your arms around him and nuzzled your face in his neck. He put his chin on your head.

"Personally, I'm not stressed. Outside festivals always have good vibes. And I can't wait to play with you too." Your grip tightened. "I know you don't know the song we'll play, but I'm sure you'll improvise well. You'll tell me what you think about the lyrics though." He moved his head to look at you and smiled.

You looked at him.

He suddenly raised eyebrows, like he just remembered something: "I'll join the guys now, but before you leave, go in my room." You opened your mouth. "Shh, surprise. Take it for tonight." He unhooked his arms from your waist and gave you a quick peck on your lips.

And in the blink of an eye, he was gone.

Like if it was the only thing left to do, you headed to his room. It was like your legs were walking alone. You opened the room and saw it. It was like a hundred daggers planted themselves in your heart. You fell on your knees.

The bright turquoise guitar you used the very first day at the record shop laid on his bed, a red ribbon tied around its neck.