Chapter Nine

*Edited and Completed Copy*

Catherine's POV

Walking back into the house, I shut the door and lock it. I don't know why but I went to the back door and made sure that was locked too. After what I had witnessed tonight, I guess the small reassurance was needed. I head over to the loungeroom and stare at Jacob as he lay unconscious on my lounge. I couldn't help but smile in sadness at how ridiculous he looked. The lounge was only a two-seater so it wasn't very big. However, as plush as it was, for a man his size I would say it wasn't as comfortable. His feet were hanging off one end, his head at a ridiculous angle that honestly looked painful. Just looking it at had me rubbing my own neck. One arm was pressed tight between the lounge and his body, the other hung off the edge fingers brushing the floor. The blood on his hand had me crashing back to reality. I had to get him cleaned up. I went into the bathroom and grabbed my first aid kit. Placing the medical box on my small coffee table, I went into the kitchen to grab a tea towel and a bowl of warm water. Once I had everything, I began cleaning him up. 5 bowls, 2 bandages and an hour and a half later I managed to clean him up as best as I could. Standing up and wiping my hands dry I realised he couldn't stay in the lounge room. He needed proper rest, but I couldn't move him into my room on my own and I sure as hell wasn't going across the street to ask for help. There was only one person I could count on to come and help me even though twenty-one questions would follow.

Dialling the number and listening into the receiver waiting for the other end to answer, I began to nervously shift from one foot to the other. "Hello" my mother's soft voice comes through the phone. "Hi mum, can I talk to dad please" I say trying to sound as calm as possible. "sure honey...James it's Catherine, she wants to speak with you...is everything okay" she asks "Um yeah, I just need dads..." but before I could finish my dad's deep voice came through "What's the matter?" he asks in his serious tone, even though I made fun of my dad for always thinking something was the matter, for once there actually was. "Dad I need your help" I say "Where are you?" he asks in a worried tone "At home" I reply "I'm on my way cupcake" he says and hangs up. Thirty Minutes later, my dad and I were standing side by side staring at Jacob. "What happen?" he asks puzzled. When he first showed up, he came storming up to the house, banging on the door. I'd opened the door and told him to calm down and pointed in the direction of my crisis. "His brother" I answer bluntly. I had four uncles from my dads' side of the family so he knew exactly what I meant with my short answer. "Where are we putting him?" he asks "In my room" I say. My dad doesn't ask anything else he walks over to Jacob and looks back at me before saying "I'll take his top half you get his legs." I walk over and do as I'm told and before I know it Jacob is in my bed. "Do you have a change of clothes for him?" My dad asks. I look at him with a shocked look on my face "NO! why the hell would I?" I sputter. My dad's deep chuckle has me shaking my head at him "I didn't mean anything by it, but he can't stay in those dirty clothes. Why don't you head on over across the street and ask for a change of clothes?" he says following me out of the room. "I'd rather not." I say organising the lounge room back to the way it was. "That bad huh?" he questions, arms crossed across his chest. My silence was answer enough and before I knew it my dad was out the door. Fifteen minutes later he came back with a hand full of clothes and a quiet Jackson following not far behind him. I watch as both men disappear down the hallway to my room and minutes later come out. Single nod from Jackson and he was gone. I look at my dad with a questioning look, "I needed help" is all he says before he kisses me goodnight and heads out himself. Well looks like I'd be sleeping on the couch tonight.

Damien's POV

It had been a week since I last spoke to Catherine. The woman had gotten under my skin. I should never have kissed her, it only led to more trouble. It was a mistake. She was going through enough as it was, she didn't need me confusing her with my recklessness. I'd spent the last few days working on the house alongside my brothers, they knew something had happened but didn't question it.