Chapter Eleven

*Edited and Completed Copy*

Catherine's POV

It's been a couple weeks since Jacob moved in. At first it was an adjustment, I had gotten a little used to living alone. However, having Jacob around was been nice, he was respectful and always helpful around the house. I was surprised at how tidy he was, not that I've ever had to clean up after someone. Nick was always tidy as well. I guess with Jacobs humour and personality I assumed he would be a little messy. Guess I missed that one by a mile. Since he's move, we'd fallen into a somewhat routine which made living with him easy. After breakfast he would go to work across the street and help his brothers with the renovations there and I would go about my day doing my own chores and renovations. He did offer to help me with my own renovations but I told him it wasn't necessary. I was managing fine on my own and I had my parents helping out whenever they had the chance.

Today was no different, after breakfast Jacob left the house and I decided to do some washing and then head outside to tend to the garden. I'd just stepped out when Erica's car pulled up into my driveway. "Hey, Hey Best Friend!" she calls out with a wide smile on her face. She was making more frequent visits lately and I'm very sure it had nothing to do with seeing me. I stood smiling with my arms crossed across my chest. "He's not here but it's great to see you again for what, the fourth time this week?" I said with a mischievous smile. One hand on her heart and the other of her head she feigned shock before I laughed and said "This makes it the fifth time" "What can I say dear Cat, the man is a morsel. Do you think he likes me?" she said walking up towards the porch. "How would I know? We don't talk about you." I said in all honesty. "I guess I need to step my game up then." She said seriously. I shook my head before giving her a hug. It was nice having her around, a little sense of normal, I guess. Before the divorce we were always together, but since then the distance naturally happened. As though it was an unspoken rule that once someone is no longer a part of the family, talking to them is almost taboo. We sat on the chairs on the porch before she asked "How are you coping?" this is why she was my best friend. She knew me too well. "I'm okay, it's not as bad as I thought it would be. It's a little comforting." I say with a shrug. "Catherine, this was your fresh start. You came out this way so you could be alone and do this on your own." She says with concern. "Honestly, a part of me is glad he's here. Having him around has kept me occupied not just physically but emotionally and mentally. If I'm not cleaning or cooking, we're watching T.V together or talking about anything other than my past. It's refreshing." I say sincerely. It was true. Having Jacob around was in a sense healthy. He kept me focused on other things and I wasn't letting my mind wonder and spiral into a toxic train of thought. I hadn't cried in two weeks. Which for me right now was a record. Any memory of my past or Nick and there I was crying like it had all just happened. "Well, then I guess I'm happy he's here and not just for my sake." She says with a wink and one of her wicked smiles. I rolled my eyes at her before I asked "Want something to drink?" I ask "No, I'm okay I was just coming over for a quick visit. I have to head back home. Mums decided to have a family lunch." She replies in an annoyed tone. I appreciated that she didn't mention her brother but I knew that's what she was referring to. Even though I had told her it was okay and even encouraged her to try and get to know his new partner, Erica made no effort. On the contrary she made every effort to either ignore her or be blatantly dry and cold towards her. "I better get a move on, need to practice my lines." She says dryly. After a moment's pause, we both burst into laughter. "Be nice, it can't honestly be that bad" I say softly. "It's hell." She replies followed by her overly dramatic eyeroll. "Maybe I can swing by tonight? Hmm I should dress is something sexy but casual. What do you think?" she asks changing the subject. I laugh before I answer "I think you're going to be late for lunch." I say smoothly "Oh please like I said, hell." She shrugs. I walk her over to her car and give her one last hug before I watch her get in and back out of the driveway. I wave goodbye and smile. In that moment I felt as though someone was watching me. I don't know why but I guess curiosity got the best of me and I looked over across the street. There he was, his deep blue eyes staring back at me. My stomach began to flip, the feeling of butterflies fluttering around consuming me. Then all of it disappeared when I watched the slender woman walk up beside him and grab his arm. My back straightened and for some reason I felt a rush of anger take over. I spun around and made my way to the porch. I grabbed at my gardening tools and gloves before stomping over to the side of the house where I was going to start weeding. After a couple hours of weeding, all my pent-up anger was deflated and I felt much better about my garden. It looked fresh and neat. Just as I was getting up my parent's familiar car pulled up into the driveway. My heart felt full at the sight of them. Watching my father walk around the car to open the door for my mother was still a sight that made my heart melt. Their love was the kind I wanted for myself. Funny how that turned out.