Chapter 19 - Recovery

Days had passed since the guardians had fulfilled their mission to save the lost team members. Once they had travelled back the days began anew with old, new faces. That what had been left behind, was now picked up again. Harmony within the teams had been restored and no longer were much requested of Ezreal, who had been trying to leave his house after the invasion. The maze of truth had still been haunting him, the occasional spread of dark matter that had it's tendencies to creep upon his hand, spread over his wrist and before he could feel it growing faster he would shake the imagination of Kai'Sa's death away. It was as if a virus had entered through his defences and weakened his system to move a single muscle, to open his eyes without seeing rays of light that shone upon the dead body. Ahri had visited the explorer when she no longer felt his presence roaming the lands, when rumours of his death were spread to explain his missing.
Lost in a stare he would look before him, the screeches and cracking of bones that filled his ears in the times of silence and serenity. Even in hiding did it not fix his problems, until the knocking of his front door echoed from the main hall. He waited for it to pass, counted down the seconds and amount of times the door would be knocked on, but even after ten minutes did the person behind it not give up, so it was for him to act.
Pushing the blankets from his sore body he walked towards the door, every inch of his right hand being covered by the dark matter he had been infected with. With the flick of his gauntlet the door had opened itself, to his surprise it were Kaisa and Sona, his heart leapt into his chest when the alternate Kaisa raised her hand to nervously wave towards him. He had not spent much time around the guardians after he had left the mission, there was no point into him showing up when the horror of the maze still haunted him.
'We heard that the tower is still inflicting damage on you.' With careful steps Kaisa walked inside the mansion, followed by Sona who looked with curious eyes into every corner. Aside from her long pigtails was Sona almost unfamiliar to the stunning guardian she were, the glistening outfit, embroidered with stars and dust, with her wings serving more as a tool of healing than the act of flying.
When their eyes met Ezreal felt as if his nerve system were laid bare for her to see. The mute would step forward to hold onto his wrist, studying the darkened veins and prune skin. A soft blow of wind whispered into their ears, but Ezreal could not make a word out of the sound of cracking twigs and leaves gliding over one of each other.
'She says she can cure you from the darkness that troubles your mind,' The mute exchanged some looks with Kaisa before she smiled towards Ezreal.  'But only if you are up for it.'
The explorer looked at both of them, more towards the exact replica of his dear friend. Though her smile warmed the chill that grasped onto his spine, it did not eradicate the visions he had. Not a single version of her could replace the person he had befriended himself with and he wished to every star that he would have the strength to travel again. 'If it means I can live my life in peace again, I'll even jump into a pool of mud if that's asked from me.'

The warmth of the desert takes getting used to, even if you had left it for just a week. Since her return had the void below been more tedious, more malicious. Calming the rage that had been built in her absence took time and precision, one thing that she had kept consistent when she had visited Piltover. In a sense she believed that her second skin had enjoyed it's resort too, stuck in the bottle to rest from the continuous battle and slaughter. The more if fought, the more it required, that is what the Icathia longed from you if you were lucky to wield it.
Most of her time was spent below, blowing up new laid nest and fighting a swarm of fresh voidlings, she even were lucky to spot the elders awake to show their mauls. Nothing had changed in her routine ever since, it was fight, feed, rest and survive. The only thing that gave hope to another day was for her friend to return, who she had not seen for three months now. The last thing that he had shared with her before the parted from each other was that there was a mission that he had to keep himself busy with and she dearly hoped that he had not fallen for anything that could have risked his life.
Another bolt of purple energy shot from her palm as she killed another voidling that had it's claws out to tear her into pieces, nineteen. A quick response of her instinct noticed the appearance of another swarm to break through from the walls and she summoned upon the energy blades that grew from her arms.