Chapter 30 - Risk's embrace

The morning sun shone like none other, a day to remember after a night spent questioning fate and her chances. A morning breeze blew the red curtains in gentle waves in her direction, revealing a cloudless sky deck. How she wished to wake up to a dawn like this more often, a day where she opened her eyes solely because she had enough rest and not because her second skin ordered her to. With a heavy heart she wondered how many days before a dream like this would be replaced by the bitter truth, a reality where she ran around chasing something that could not be defeated single handedly. Don't think about it, Kai'Sa, she told herself as she drew the curtains from the windows. Her reflection stared right through her, lavender eyes that were once cherished by her mother when they used to be shades of green and brown. Purple lines that trailed from her temples, halfway drawn on her cheeks, twice and two on her forehead. No one left the void without having gone through changes, hers had been permanently inked on her body. She never knew if there were a badge of honour because she managed to survive for so long or a curse to always remember her and the people around her that she had to become her own enemy just to survive. Kai'Sa sighed, she hated the person she became. Though she still were human, she fought, moved and reacted like a predator.
Her ears twitched when she heard a doorknob being turned, but not to her own room. From the echoes of their footsteps she could tell it must have been Ezreal who ventured to the bathroom. She curiously walked towards her door to greet him herself, but the lock had already fell onto it when she had stepped in to the hallway. What had he been up to that he were awake around the same time as she were, since he had been gone for quite some time. The past days she had tried her best to push him aside, so he would no longer be burdened by their kiss. He had said that it were not a mistake that it happened, but still regret it. How could both be taken in the same sentence?
A faint knock sounded from the hall, she feared that she would open the door for people that specifically came for Ezreal. The last time she opened the front door to a couple of strangers one of them almost fell injured when they tried to hug her. Hesitantly Kai'Sa knocked against the wooden door that stood in between her and the bathroom. She had not realised that while she were lost in thought that a stream of water ran, he was taking a shower. Or maybe not? She couldn't tell. 'Ezreal, someone is at the door.'
A grunt and gasp for air sounded, she could only imagine him to walk out of the shower cabin to bring out a word without water running constantly in his mouth. 'I can't answer it right now, can you get it?'
With trembling fingers Kai'Sa rested her hand against the door, fear that won a place in her eyes. 'Last time I opened it I almost knocked out Neeko.'
'I think everyone has had that moment at least once in their life, don't worry.' He spoke as if he knew who stood before the door. But if he were certain no casualties would fall there was no risk for Kai'Sa to take than to answer it. She quickly shook off any feeling of fear and anxiousness, who thought a warrior that fought almost a hundred voidlings a day could be so afraid of a mere human. Walking down the stairs she already caught the silhouette that stood behind the tainted glass, from the look of it's form she could only imagine it to be a woman. There were no ears, no cloak, no tail. She hoped that when her hand had closed around the door knob that she would not scare the person, even though there was nothing left to be feared about Kai'Sa as of right now. The door slowly opened and revealed a lady with hair as golden as the first rays of light, eyes as blue as the clear skies and a face as fair as porcelain, with a hint of red that blushed her cheeks. She were only a few inches smaller than Kai'Sa and for a moment she thought that it were a relative of Ezreal, because the two looked a lot alike.
The lady blinked a few times in wonder when her eyes met the daughter of the void, as if she had just seen a ghost all the blood had vaporized out of her skin. Maybe there was still something that left people in fear.
'K-Kaisa?' Her voice was a bit deeper and sounded more mature than what she expected her to be, Kai'Sa would estimate her to be twenty five.
A smile brightened Kai'Sa's face in an attempt to comfort the visitor in some way. 'It's Kai'Sa, emphasis on the last bit.'  Great job, Kai'Sa, instead of asking how she knew your name you correct her. How she longed to pinch herself, hoping for it to be a dream.
'Ezreal has told me a lot about you.' A frown had wrinkled her forehead as she noticed the lady slowly losing control over her own smile. It hesitantly broke down, why was she sad?
Manners, where are your manners, Kai'Sa? She quickly memorised her second encounter with Ezreal and reached out her hand for the lady to shake. 'I wish I could say the same, but I don't know who you are.'
The lady drew her lips from each other to speak out her name, if it were not for Ezreal's voice to echo through the hall. Before Kai'Sa could glance to greet him like she intended to, he instead wrapped his arm around her to hold her close. She quivered when the tips of his fingers stroke over the back of her neck, caressing the skin of her shoulder in it's track. Holding on to her breath she wondered what he were doing.
'I'm glad you made it in one piece, Lux.' Kai'Sa gasped in the presence of the girl she had grown so wary of, the girl that Ezreal had been longing for for so long. Why was he holding on to her when Lux was right before them.
Just as Kai'Sa had thought, Lux pressed her lips on to each other and glanced to the floor. Clearly she were uncomfortable just being there.
'Lux, I've heard so many things about you,' Kai'Sa stammered, collecting herself from her shock as she resumed. 'Ezreal is very fond of you.'
Her eyes examined them together one more time before it seemed best to not stare all too much. 'I-I can tell.'
'It's getting pretty chilly, come on in so we can enjoy a drink or two.' Ezreal exclaimed to drive away the awkward tension that slowly grew in between the two ladies. When his warm hand let go of her shoulder she turned around to notice he was not wearing a shirt and his hair had still been damp from his shower. Kai'Sa quickly pricked her finger in his direction, poking the tip to his stomach. She were surprised to find out he had muscle mass under his skin, she were always convinced he were simply athletic or skinny.
'Why are you not wearing a shirt?' She asked in wonder as she tried to cover his chest, though her small hands fell short.
Kai'Sa felt her heart leaping into her chest when he crossed the distance left between them, leaning his forehead against hers. 'You know why.' Though his words were supposed to be a whisper, it were louder than usual. With every half an inch he leaned in closer to her she felt her knees weaken in his close presence. W-What is he doing? She asked herself, why did he act like this in the eyes of the girl he claimed to be a part of his dreams. Ezreal rested his hands on her hips, though he had seemed so confident before, their kiss was still one of his weaknesses. With one last gasp for air she were surprised that he had closed his lips around hers again, guiding her in to an experience that was not discussed or spoken of before hand. Was he out to make her jealous? To get a reaction out of her?
Kai'Sa's eyelids succumbed to their weight when  their kiss had deepened, she lost count after the third day during their travel. A hunger that belonged to hers had driven her to bite on his bottom lip. When their mouths had opened again to star anew, Kai'Sa closed her teeth on his lip the chance it had been granted. Ezreal's hand quickly rose to her cheeks and he pinched them lightly, she could tell from the force on his hands he was out to break their kiss. The adventurer gathered all of his strength to resist Kai'Sa for that moment, even though he would have gladly showed Lux the way out. Instead he tried to remain under control and gestured Kai'Sa, who's eyes were still half open staring at him, to the kitchen. 'I'll get changed, grab whatever you think seems appropriate and bring it to her.' There were so many questions she wanted to ask, where their kiss came from once again. When she had wondered if he had used her to ignite something from Lux, she realised she were already in the studies, looking around at every book. Had she even paid attention he dragged her out of her sight?
This must have been in a dream, Kai'Sa thought to herself as she brought down her thumb and index finger to her wrist and pinched it with the edge of her nails. But the inflicted pain did not wake her from a slumber, this was real. Her best friend, one she felt more for than their bond permitted them. With a blank mind that wrote of a thousand words she did not understand a single translation of she wandered mindlessly towards the kitchen.

Ezreal took a deep breath as he pulled a shirt over his head to wear, he had given in to feelings he wished he never had before. And even though he tried to tell himself it was wrong, it felt more good than bad. What would happen from here on out? He asked himself as he thought of all the plans he had in mind when he visited the park in Valoran with the others. The void had many places and spots no man could have survived, Kai'Sa could have just been the only person that escaped the crutches of the void. After his decision that he would do anything to just commit to what ever played between them he felt free, every kiss she granted him gave him more freedom and less troubles to think what could happen next, he felt secure. He would take her to more places to visit and she would show him the tunnels of the Void. And all that after the girl he thought he had fallen deeply in love with had opened his eyes on that matter.

'What is it?' Lux had wondered, the vision of his memory that played the night before in Valoran. The stars had twinkled in their gathering and even then he could only think of the bet that he had made with Kai'Sa.
Digging both of his hands deep in his pockets he spoke of the story of their Kaisa, the guardian from another universe. Lux had been the only one who were not enlightened about her past, since Kaisa did not long for anyone to know she was not real in terms of time. The lady of luminosity stared at him with widened eyes, he feared that if he continued her eye balls would have rolled out of her head.
'So, the real Kai'Sa lives with you?' He could tell from her trembling voice that she did not like the idea that a woman lived underneath his roof, while it had happened more often that hr would like to admit. Sarah had countlessly entered his mansion to crash after she had been drinking until her kidneys were almost permanently damaged.
'Not really, I wish she did though.' There was no need for him to keep any secrets, one of the things that not a lot of people knew about Lux was that she were too innocent to give a secret away even for a grand price.
Lux frowned as she tried to understand the interest she saw in her, after her survival story. 'How come?'
Ezreal shook his shoulders and bent down to pick up a small pebble that had caught his eye for too long. 'I've spent more time with her than I have with anyone in my life. At this point I can't even imagine her not being around.' Lux did not know if she had to label him lost or simply a man who fell in love. Because she knew of neither, she left it for what it were.

'She would appreciate it if you paid a little visit.' Were his last words before he returned to the present.