Chapter 28 - Survival

Droplets of water played a melody that brought serenity in the darkened tunnels that tracked underneath the great empire of Shurima. Barely any light were present in the catacombs than Kai'Sa's lavender eyes and purple fumes that radiated from her jets, their bodies had taken a fall of a few metres and laid motionless on the ground. After minutes of pure silence the adventurer finally woke from his unconcious state of mind. With weakened eyelids he tried to make anything out of the darkness with the limited vision that was granted by Kai'Sa's jets. During their fall Ezreal had tried his best to keep her unharmer during the fall, he even went through the trouble and wrapped his arms around her head to break their fall in case his safety measure had failed to keep them alive. He surely knew that with the slightest movement with his chest he would have felt his ribs poking in to his lungs. He was surprised to know that his plan to keep them safe had actually worked out in  his favor, with just a few feet away from the ground Ezreal produced enough energy through his gauntlet to teleport both of them, the real problem had been that he did it too soon. Luckily he were not alone, his half baked plans proved ofted successful but they were not always as efficient. Kai'Sa had cast her shield she very rarely had to use, im the many fights they had in an ambus by the void she only activated it whenever a voidling tried to attack her from the back. What they had not expected was for the shield to break when it collided against the floor, as the impact had shot them even deeper in to the catacombs the two tumbled wildly while still holding on to each other. Ezreal was not sure when he heard a loud thud if it were Kai'Sa that got a bad blow to her head or if it had been Ezreal that just spun a around a few too many times. It had weakened them in the moment and were left unconcious until now. Ezreal opened his eyes as the darkness of the halls welcomed him to a new environment, it had taken him all his of his strength not to close his eyes again and fall in sleep. A weight pressed down on his chest that had made it difficult for him to move, only then to realise it had been Kai'Sa who were still knocked out by their fall. He were relieved by the tickling breath of her slow breathing that travelled over his skin. The view of her in a peaceful state had almost sent him back to sleep, but the risk was too great to take that an enemy could lurk around, so he tried to keep focus on reality and looked for many things he could focus himself on. All he could think of that would possibly keep him awake if she were, he had not much strength left as he tried to think through of his next plan. Raising his hand he watched as every finger trembled at the slightest effort he put to move a muscle. He softly grunted through the pain and exhaustion to rest the palm of his hand on her head. With a few strokes of his fingers caressing and combing through her hair he hoped that the massage on her skull would wake her, he reckoned she had a heavier knock to her head than him. With a groan rolling over his lips he thought of different ways to wake her, since after two minutes it had only given him the feeling that his gentle caress had driven her almost to sleep. A grimace of pain went through his face as he placed his hands on the ground, feeling every sore bone and muscle begging to stay down. Maybe later, he thought to himself when he leaned on his other hand to sit up, his hand that quickly closed on the back of Kai'Sa's head when she almost slid off of his chest. If it were not for the purple lights that came from her jets he would not have made out an image out of the tunnels they were in. From the looks of the rotten wooden handles that hung on the walls he imagined that the catacombs had not been used for decades, perhaps even a few hundred years. He had read stories of Aatrox, the justiciar of Shurima, for once he was grateful of himself for picking up an old book from one of the underground libraries under the sun disk. From the writings on the walls it did not look like it were his resting place, but from the people that had believed in his reign and power. Sentenced as betrayers.
'Woah,' Ezreal brought out in amazement as he looked around. What ever treasure they had ahead must have been as old as time. 'Kai'Sa.' His whispers echoed from the walls that surrounded them, followed by the gritting of his teeth as he shook the girl in his arm awake. The look of her motionless body moving to his every moment he wonder ifthe blow been that bad for her to still be left unconscious.
Fear struck him when he had not even paid attention to her breathing anymore. He quickly lowered his head to hover his ear over her mouth. Slow, regular breaths tickled against his cheek and temple, to be sure it was not just the little air that was left underground he remained leaning close to her, until he slowly felt his blood rushing back to his head out of relief. He ignored the pain in his ribs and sat straight so he could hold on to her with both hands, not wanting to move in case she had been injured worse than him. He tried to look around for an exit that would guide them back once they had retrieved the mask, but he assumed that every possible entrance and exit had perished along with Shurima when it fell the first time. For that moment he wondered if his plan to escape from Sivir only had reduced their chances to survive even more by destroying the last known entrance to the catacombs. He realised that pulverising a door had been one of the worst mistakes he could make, but not all was lost. He knew that Kai'Sa could find her way out and lead their way back, but she had to wake up first.
Doubt crossed his face to the thought of there might still be living creatures, but he did not dare to take the risk when his only guide back and friend could take the risk of being attacked. 'Kai'Sa.' Ezreal whispered even more quiet than his vocals were used to, caressing her cheek soft enough that it would tickle her, he knew that if he went too soft he would risk having her fall asleep after being unconscious.
After five minutes of laying there Kai'Sa's breathing became faster, she had finally opened her eyes. Her lashes tickled against Ezreal's cheek when she tried to keep herself awake by blinking a few times, only to realise what had happened and in what condition she was right now. Kai'Sa groaned and pushed her face in his neck, raising a hand to seek for support on his shoulder. 'How long have I been out for?'
'I don't know,' The explorer sighed out of relief when she seemed uninjured, almost thanking her second skin for keeping her safe. 'I don't even know how long I've been out for.'
'Are we in the catacombs?' She asked in wonder as she finally leaned back to look him directly in the eyes, their faces just an inch parted from each other to remain silent for any other presence that could be in the area.
'Yeah, It's older than I thought it to be, probably around the time that Shurima fell,' Ezreal observed the area one more time, only then realising that Kai'Sa had not brought out a single word after she had turned her eyes back on him. He looked back in to her eyes, wondering if something were wrong for her to fall silent all of a sudden. She blinked a couple of times, the lavender light that shone from her eyes light flickered like a light. For a moment their kiss had flashed back in his mind and he felt himself biting his lip to avoid going through it again. 'Stop looking at me like that.'
Kai'Sa shuddered, a slight blush that warmed her cheeks the longer their eye contact lasted. 'Looking like what?' Even her whisper had been enough for him to almost step over his own defences. He raised his nose, the skin around it that started to wrinkle.
'You're making this friendship bond really difficult for me.' His voice echoed with the melody of the droplets that created a melody, Kai'Sa's chuckle that followed right afterwards. It was as if it became their second nature to dance around their bond after the first kiss they shared, Ezreal had though it would have ruined what they had but almost felt like it made things even more clear. 'You're doing this on purpose.'
With one last look at him she rose from his arms, aiding him to do the same as he had bruised his ribs during their fall. She could not help but to throw a grin at his accusation, flicking her hair over her shoulder as response. This had been the second time she had done that and it struck him just as hard as the first time. He could now see that beneath her skin, beyond all the killer instinct and survival attitude the girl of his dreams had shaped. While she always tried to remain positive, she knew how to make a game out of everything, each time she counted the death of voidling, a long range shot or just a simple race she could find joy in everything. Even though she had already seen quite a lot in a short time, she treated everything like it were her first encounter. Rumours and story did not affect her view on anyone, unless they proved to be true to their tales. 'Are you aware that you're slowly winning the grand price?'
Kai'Sa stopped in her tracks, her lavender eyes that lit up in the darkness as she squinted her eyes lightly in his direction. The sensual look in that split second had made him breathless and he stared in wonder. 'Am I?'
He found himself still staring as she resumed her pass, leaving him lost in the dark as he quickly realised he was falling behind. 'I thought I was supposed to be the dashing one!'