Chapter 4

Desirée took deep breaths, bracing her back against the door she’d just closed behind her. She could hear her heart pounding in her ears. She’d kept her cool while talking to the lawyer, but now it all caught up with her. Why was Jack doing this? He was supposed to let her live her life in peace – that was the deal they made.

She reached into her jean pocket and pulled out her cell phone. She put the phone to her ear and waited for the call to go through.

“Rae?” the voice on the other end answered.

“Hey,” she said softly. “How’s it going?”

“Fine. I was just about to get in my car and drive over to you. Is something wrong?”

“I’m not sure, Zach,” Desirée sighed. “Jack sent someone here. I don’t know what he’s up to.”

“He’s a greedy bastard, that’s what’s up,” Zach said so fiercely it almost made Desirée smile. Zach had picked sides five years ago, and she was grateful for his unfaltering support. “Where’s the henchman now?”

“I don’t know,” Desirée said, walking over to the window to peer outside from behind the curtain. “I don’t see him.”

“You’re hiding?” Desirée could practically hear Zach’s frown.

“I’m not hiding,” she rolled her eyes. “Just… making a point.”

“Do you want me to come over straight away?” he offered.

“No,” Desirée said quickly. “I’d rather you stay away until I’m sure this lawyer person is long gone. Jack may not want to honor our agreement, but I’m not risking anything on my part.”

“Okay, Rae. Call me when he leaves. Don’t worry, I’ll take care of everything here.”

“Thank you, Zach,” Desirée said warmly and hung up the phone, feeling much calmer than before. She knew what she needed to do. Jack was not going to take anything from her. Not without a fight.

Desirée walked into the kitchen and peered out the window facing the gate. The silver car was still parked outside, and it looked like the lawyer was sitting in the driver’s seat. What was he waiting for?

She decided she’d take a shower and hoped that he’d be gone by the time she got back downstairs. A day spent painting with the sun warming her back through the glass wall in her studio had made her sweaty and Desirée longed to scrub herself clean.

-

“The lawyer’s gone,” Desirée said over the phone a few minutes after she’d returned to the kitchen, showered and dressed in a long-sleeved wrap dress.

“I’ll be over in an hour or so,” Zach replied and ended the call.

Desirée walked over to the fridge to find something to cook or heat for dinner. Zach wouldn’t mind leftovers.

By the time Zach’s car pulled up in front of her house, Desirée had a pot-au-feu waiting on the table. She poured two glasses of red wine and went to open the door.

“Hey, Rae,” Zach smiled and carried the little bundle in his arms inside. “She fell asleep on the drive over.”

“Did she have fun today?” Desirée asked and kissed the little girl’s forehead, stroking her dark hair.

“We fed the ducks at the park. She wanted to bring one home with her,” he chuckled, his blue eyes twinkling.

“I can imagine,” Desirée smiled. “Mind carrying her upstairs for me?”