Chapter 5

Author's Note: Thank you so much to everyone who's read, voted, commented and "fanned" me recently, I truly appreciate it. I hope you'll keep enjoying this story (and my others, if those plots appeal to you). I update on a weekly basis, as I work full time and only have a few hours each day and the weekend to write. I wish I could write - and update - more often, but alas... Thank you for reading and remember to click that little 'vote' button up top if you like what you read ;)

_______________________

 “Jack wants to sell off the Rennes subsidiary,” Desirée said to Zach over the phone. “That’s why he’s sending goons my way.”

“He knows I’ll refuse, that’s why he’s going after you, Rae,” Zach sighed. “I’m sorry.”

“No, Zach, you’ve been such an amazing help to me with Juliette all these years, and if I hadn’t been so selfish, you could have managed one of the other subsidiaries and Jack wouldn’t be trying to…”

“He’s a mean old man, Rae,” Zach cut her off. “He’s vindictive and spiteful and he can’t bear to see you happy. And I don’t think this is just about the subsidiary. I think that’s what he’s told that lawyer of his, but he’s after the shares, mark my words.”

“Well, he’s not going to get them. Margaret left me those shares for Juliette. There’s no way she’ll be cheated out of her inheritance because of Jack’s pettiness,” Desirée said firmly.

“That’s my girl,” Zach said. “Fighting tooth and nails. Which reminds me, when are you going to start taking better care of those nails of yours? Turpentine is not used in French manicure, you know?” he teased.

“Let me get rid of this lawyer person and I’ll start worrying about my nails,” Desirée said, rolling her eyes.

“Do you have a plan?”

“Not yet. I think I’m going to have to Google him, see what I can learn about his character. I doubt he’s known for being charming and reasonable, or Jack wouldn’t have hired him.”

“Good point,” Zach agreed. “Well, I should go. Little Miss Grimaud is waiting to go feed the ducks. She already has her boots on.”

Desirée chuckled. “Then you better go. Kiss her for me, would you?”

“Will do,” he affirmed and hung up.

Desirée put the phone down and headed up to her bedroom to get the laptop in the hopes of learning more about Mr. Alec Grayson.

~~~

Alec was smiling as he drove to Rennes. Time to check out the subsidiary’s offices – and maybe get something half-decent to eat. Clearly, Desirée Grimaud was personally invested in what happened to the business, and his best guess was that it had everything to do with Mr. Zachary Steele. Jack Steele’s brother was her weak spot. Finally, something he could work with.

~~~

Merde!” Desirée exclaimed and threw her palette to the floor. She couldn’t paint. She had absolutely no inspiration and it was frustrating as hell. All she could think about was what kind of a pit bull Jack had set on her trail. The things she’d learned about Alec Grayson over the Internet were enough to riddle her already troubled mind.

For five years, she’d managed to avoid all contact with her ex-husband. She didn’t even go to Margaret’s funeral or the reading of her will because she couldn’t bear to face him. Juliette was barely three years old when Margaret died, and she couldn’t leave her alone.